So, why not use pallet wood?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I have made a handful of projects, "to develop my skills", using less than ideal materials. I figured that I hadn't developed them enough to justify buying a good piece of wood to butcher.

Well, I think I have finally reached the end of that road. I took an opportunity to salvage a couple of large pallets with 6", what appeared to be, pine boards for the decking. I was very careful to ensure that all of the nails had been removed and the boards were pretty clean. I figured I was ready for my next 'learning' experience. Hopefully one where I ended up with a project I could use.

My daughters needed a couple of bookcases. I decided to make the 'Country Pine Bookcase' in Woodsmith (21/123). I figured this pile of wood, once milled, would be fine for the top and face frame.

I jointed one face, planed it down (ended up about 5/8", but I wasn't picky) and started ripping it to size, accounting for the really nasty knots, etc. I noticed that boards that were straight started to have some twist to them. Then I ripped one piece down to final size with about 3/4" waste coming off and I got a real surprise. This 3/4" piece of waste from a 'straight' board suddenly spang into this twisted piece of wood. I suddenly learned very clearly about the stresses in this wood.

I think I am going to work through this project with this educational wood. But, I think for future projects, I will actually buy some real wood.

Just thought I would share a rookie's learning experience.

Have a great one...

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, it's a bummer when that happens, especially after you've spent time dimensioning. :-( It seems like I always have that problem when I have "just enough" to complete a project.

Hopefully you have enough extra stock to sort out and make it work!! :)

Chuck

J

jeff...

We take junk logs and saw them into 4x6's for a pallet company, about two TT loads a year. It's good to clean up the log yard a little from time to time. The good quality logs stay in the yard to be made into lumber.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Marvin, I so feel your pain.

I keep saying "this is the last time" I use scrap and found wood for a project.

Sadly, I don't learn.

I also keep touching the stovetop to see if its hot......

Jim

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Best "scrap" wood I have ever gotten my hands on was a truckload of cedar boards pulled from the closets of a big house a contractor friend was renovating. They were all tongue & groove and had been on the house about 50 years. Aside from a few nails that had to be pulled, they were dry, straight and in very good shape. I ripped them down to the closest workable size I could and planed them as needed to get consistent thicknesses. (some varied as much as from 1" to 5/8" in thickness)

Anyway, a lot of these boards are still in my shop for use on different projects as needed. Simple stuff, like an herb planter for my wife, coat rack for the boys room, etc. Still, as dry and well-aged as they are, I STILL had some twisting when I let them sit a while. For the most part, they are in great shape, but not allof them are.

brent innc

New User
Brent
Just be caeful using wood that has been used in shipping. Most pallets should be ok, but then there are some that come over on a container ship. Those containers use some really nasty pesticides. Some are in powder form and I have seen it where a gas was used. Were supposed to let it air out for two hours before entering it. Kinda hard to do when you only have two hrs. to unload and clean it.
This is jaut an observation from when I was working. If you do use some of the foreign wood that comes in that way, wear a mask.

Sir Chiz

New User
Phil
I've had access to a lot of pallets over the years, agree with Brent, you have to be careful with foreign substances on them, there are plenty chemical factories right here in the USA.

I was told that most ship fumigation,these days, is done with CO2.
The "IPPC" is pushing to reduce the use of nasty chemicals, but they're still around.

Most pallets, these days, are "heat treated" to reduce insect transport from foreign countries,but some are still treated with Methyl Bromide (MB), which is nasty stuff.

Heat treating can dry the outer portion of a board, but leave a higher moisture content inside, resulting in warping and twisting when the wood is cut.
Most newer pallets are branded with the "IPPC" stamp, showing counrty of origin, and treatment method, "HT" being "heat treated", "MB" being Methyl Bromide.
See the two stamps below, one is "US"-"HT", the other is "VN" Venezuela(sp), treated with Metheyl Bromide "MB".

Pallet wood usually isn't the greatest to begin with,that's why it goes to the pallet makers. Also, pallet makers don't waste time and money kiln drying the wood, pallet wood is usually green when the pallet is made, resulting in severe movent as it dries. A standard double tier pallet can lose 20+ lbs of moisture through its life.

Some time you can get lucky with palletwood. ;-)

Attachments

• MRI%2520Application%2520IPPC%2520Stamp1a.jpg
    MRI%2520Application%2520IPPC%2520Stamp1a.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IPPC.jpg
    IPPC.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 196
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors