So it begins.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss600r

New User
Steve
Today I started cleaning around my garage/shop some in between cutting and putting together a ton of little cedar borders to go around landscaping for the wife. Funny how every time I try to do something she wants something. I will be updating as I go and since this is a budget redo I thought I would post the costs down as I go, not including what I have now(not much).
Once I have gone through everything and sorted what goes and stays the floor will be done first. There is alot of over spray on it. I am another going to seriously clean it and seal it or do epoxy. I am really liking Quickrete's midnight blue. Its on sale at Lowes right now to. Not really in the budget but man would it be nice.
The lower cabinets will be melamine since I have more than enough and no money in it. Along the back wall will be an 8' section. Sanding and finishing will be done here. I have not decided on 1 or 2 sections with a single top yet but I am leaning towards 2 sections. I am going to do a small DIY downdraft section on the far left. In the right hand corner is a sink that was already installed when I moved in. Above the cabinets will be pegboard that I already have totaling 4'x8'.
Donw the right side will be my tool cart, a cabinet style router table, a cabinet that will be used for all the bench top equipment and a tall cabinet that will hold the bench top stuff. All will be on casters on this side so I can move stuff around as needed. A jointer will be there also but further down the road. A dust collector will find its home in this area also. Above the floor cabinets will be another row of cabinets higher up.
Table saw ill sit near the front on the garage kind of centered.
Fluorescent plug in lights are going on the ceiling hooked into a surge protector that has a remote mounted to the wall. A DI air filtration set up will also be on the ceiling.
This is all in half of a two car garage.
So far I have $35 invested in wood for the upper cabinets.
Here are some before pics....
4651637550_290ab50fd1_m.jpg

4651019535_68516fd01e_m.jpg

4651019603_ee6f43d87d_m.jpg

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Steve,

I wish you luck with the project. I've been trying to get my (shop) act together for years. Seems it a never ending process. It's a lot more fun if you have to take time out of the cleaning to build shop furniture and workstations.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
sounds promising, Good luck with the project!
You know when she sees how much time you have to do something like that, she'll find plenty of things to fill it for you
{but its a small price to pay - don't want the anti-defamation league coming after me}
keep us updated

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Great start! Keep us updated.

The big question is, if you epoxy coat the floor will you add those fancy sprinkles :)

Jim

ss600r

New User
Steve
I'm not sure about the sprinkles yet, kind of 50/50 on that.
I got up this morning and starting to work on the upper cabinets. 10 minutes didn't go by and out comes my wife wanting me to cut more cedar into these little dog ear pieces to go around landscaping. Naturally this leads to her reminding me I have still not made her other planters. Then looks around the garage and asked why I'm not done yet lol.

ss600r

New User
Steve
First upper cabinet up. Its some of the stuff I got from Eric. This was really my first time building one and I learned a couple very important lessons.
1. When you are working on to many things at once do not get in a hurry or you might do something dumb. Like not set your Kreg correctly and drill your pocket holes to deep, on every piece of all seven cabinets:BangHead:
2. Don't work frustrated after making dumb mistakes. Although I got the cabinet done by screwing on the outside they are not lined up around like they could be.
4659177578_5ce59199df_b.jpg

Glennbear

Glenn
1. When you are working on to many things at once do not get in a hurry or you might do something dumb. Like not set your Kreg correctly and drill your pocket holes to deep

BTDT !!!! my lesson was learned on a shop project also. :confused_ The consolation is that we were not working on fine cabinetry :wink_smil

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
1. When you are working on to many things at once do not get in a hurry or you might do something dumb. Like not set your Kreg correctly and drill your pocket holes to deep

BTDT !!!! my lesson was learned on a shop project also. :confused_ The consolation is that we were not working on fine cabinetry :wink_smil

Heh, I did something similar on a christmas project I was working on at the last minute for my son. I was routing a nice roundover on a frame that I had assembled with pocket screws. I wasn't paying attention (in a hurry) and the bearing on the bit was right on level with the pocket and if followed the pocket perfectly when I got to the corner.... Oh well, every project needs a little character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS