Small Smoothing Plane Till almost Finished...

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Well, still a newbie at this woodworking hobby, but having fun. Building some shop furniture outa the cherry I have in my stash. Had a lot of waste, but the wood was priced right when purchased. Figured shop furniture would be a good way to teach myself some basics. And no one is hardly ever in the shop besides me anyway. Made a lot of mistakes, but enjoyed the experience. Milled the air dryed rough lumber on my Powermatic 8" jointer and planed using the Powermatic 20" Planer.Did the finish planing on my little Dewalt 735 planer. Still like that machine for the last pass or 2. Used a shelf jig to make the shelves adjustable spacing. Had planned on doors. Maybe on the next one. All that is left is to put a french cleat on the back (still gotta figure that one out) and on Friday put on a couple coats of poly for additional protection in the shop enviroment. I'm sure the next one will be as fun but easier with less mistakes. Thought I might add a pic since it's my first piece of anything resembling furniture!
IMGP00771.jpg

IMGP0078.JPG

IMGP0079.JPG

DavidF

New User
David
Nice Job Wayne, they look like very sturdy cabs and nicely executed for shop cabs as well

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Actually looks better than pics. Not as blotchy looking...I bought about 200 bd ft of cull cherry a year or so ago. So, using it and some leftover ply for the back, whipped together a shelf for some of my planes. Gotta figure out the french cleat thing now. All in all, had a great time on a simple project!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looks good to me! You have already exceeded the quality and grade of wood I have used in my prior shop furniture/projects which is one thing I hope to correct over time.

How many planes you think you will be able to get on it? What sizes do you have?

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I can fit 3 #3's or #4's per shelf. I was just counting on intermingling different sizes to use up the space effeciently. As far as how many planes, I'm gonna have to build another shelf like this one. The 5,6,7's take up some space.
stanleyfamily.jpg

Currently, a few more or a few less. Number is always changing. Kinda have a plane and chisel fetish of sorts!Like to bring them back to life!

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
The till is really nice. I really like all of the planes too. I am going to reorganize my shop and build some things like that to put my tools in. Right now, it is a mess! If those #7s are getting in your way, I am sure I could make room for some in my shop! :gar-Bi

M

McRabbet

Wayne,

Here is a tutorial from our own Tom Hintz -- his are hidden and allow the cabinet to be mounted flush. You do not need to put them in a pocket, but if you just mount them on the back of the cabinet, use a strip of the same thickness near the base of the cabinet back to keep the cabinet parallel to the wall. I've even used them on two walls to hang corner cabinets. Be sure to screw the wall piece into the studs.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very nice collection!! So, I take it your tills are "modular" so that you can keep adding to them and expanding your collection. ;-)

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
McRabbett, I figured that French Cleat thing out after I built the cabinet, didn't provide space for it in the back recess. Have decided to use 2 screws/washers to attach it to the studs in the wall. Then cover that area with matching moulding to hide the screws or attach same strip of moulding and hide screws with plugs. There is a overhang on the top of the cabinet also. Well, I'm learning!
Travis, thought I could mount it near my bench so I could grab a plane when needed. Heck, most of my projects are shop type projects anyway. Probably build another for the rest of the planes similar to this one. Need something a little different for chisels, etc.
Just entertaining myself!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The shelf looks great Wayne, but i'm surprised that someone like Fred didn't crucify you for having the blades down:gar-La;, especially on a hard surface. Now let's get into place with the planes in it and take a photograph:icon_thum.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
The shelf looks great Wayne, but i'm surprised that someone like Fred didn't crucify you for having the blades down:gar-La;, especially on a hard surface. Now let's get into place with the planes in it and take a photograph:icon_thum.

:rotflm: I been busy....... nice rack redhawk:icon_thum um why didnt ya make the shelves wide enough to lay em down on the sides?:rotflm: sorry jimmy made me do it!:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS