Small persimmon spoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
A little spindle turning and hollowing (off the lathe) practice:

HPIM1122.jpg

It will be a small token of appreciation for someone who granted me fishing access. He likes primitive folk goods and there were several persimmon trees on his property. This came from Jack (no, I didn't cut down a tree to show him how much I appreciated being allowed there :rolf:), so it is probably from very nearby. Finish is 100% tung oil; 2nd coat still wet in the photo.

CarvedTones

Andy
Nice! How much fun was it to hollow out the dish???

I broke a Warren small hook blade in there! Those are just like specialized Exacto blades, but they usually hold up pretty well. Persimmon is tough.

My wife's reply was "Oh, you can make kitchen implements?" :gar-Bi

The one for the kitchen is very plain; it will go straight into service. Basswood with mineral oil.

HPIM1124.jpg

CarvedTones

Andy
Andy the spoon looks great, I have plenty more persimmon, come get it

Jack

Thanks. I am a little disappointed in the pictures; they don't do the wood justice. It has a lot of figure and color (ok, mostly shades of gray :) ) variation and by far the most patina I have ever seen in a freshly cut piece of wood. I just turned and carved that in the last couple of days, but if it was in a museum claiming to be 18th century I doubt anyone would question it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS