Small part cutting on the miter saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Thought I'd show a jig I recently used on my miter saw to cut segments for a small octagonal shadow box. I cut the clamp block out of scrap on the bandsaw. It took a while longer to make the cuts compared to holding the little parts with my fingers, but I still have my fingers and the little parts didn't shift or drift in the jig.

miterjig - 1.jpg
Clamping rig in place holding the part.

miterjig - 2.jpg
Part removed showing the clamp block. This is a variation on a theme generally used in machine shop setups.

miterjig - 3.jpg
The tedious little parts being glued.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
That's a great idea!! I sure like that better than my fingers close to the blade...and it gets the job done. Nice!!!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Interesting jig Bob. Any particular reason why you didn't use a small parts crosscut sled on the TS? Just curious.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Interesting jig Bob. Any particular reason why you didn't use a small parts crosscut sled on the TS? Just curious.

Overall, this was a more convenient and faster setup. The parts were too tall (2-5/8") for upright in my existing 22.5º jig and laying the parts down required a DeStaco clamp on a sled that I would have to make up.
This was one of those hateful little honey-do projects that took more time than the enclosed object was worth. Of course, the value of "domestic tranquility" needs to be factored in.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
small parts cutting on the miter saw has always terrified me, so I built one of the pull saw miter boxes a year or so ago and love using it

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I use the FastCap 10 million dollar stick. https://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=54001 It has gripping surfaces on all three end points, so you can use the end that works the best for your purpose. I use it mostly with my miter saw, but it works good on other tools too. I don't know why they call it that. Maybe it's because they estimate that it will save that much in medical bills in it's lifetime.

Charley

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I use the FastCap 10 million dollar stick. https://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=54001 It has gripping surfaces on all three end points, so you can use the end that works the best for your purpose. I use it mostly with my miter saw, but it works good on other tools too. I don't know why they call it that. Maybe it's because they estimate that it will save that much in medical bills in it's lifetime.

Charley

Interesting - I had not seen that one before. Looks simple enough, but definitely solves a work holding issue! I like both this idea and Bob's original post! Thanks.

Henry

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That plastic tripod does look useful for thin little flat pieces, but what I was cutting edgewise was 1" x 2-5/8" thick birch stock. That's a bit much for a lot of things, particularly since the stock has to be compressed against the fence and not down on the table.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
That plastic tripod does look useful for thin little flat pieces, but what I was cutting edgewise was 1" x 2-5/8" thick birch stock. That's a bit much for a lot of things, particularly since the stock has to be compressed against the fence and not down on the table.

I would use the single end of the FastCap tool for that. I sometimes even push it against the corner of a block to both push down and back at the same time. It keeps your hand and fingers a long way away from the blade. You don't need to have all three legs in contact. It works with just one or two, if necessary. Treat it like a new version of a push stick. I do.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS