Small HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I had this small bump of a burl on a large blank of ambrosia maple last year so I thought it was worth turning something from. The form is around 5" in dia. by 4" high. It is finished with deft.
Jack
IMG_2435.jpg

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Awesome Work Jack.

Question do you sand the inside of those things as well as the outside and if so how?

And is the inside finished with deft as well?

Have any pictures of the opening?

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do spray a few coats of deft on the inside of HF's with small openings like this, but generally don't sand the inside much if any. The finish on the inside is more for controlling the moister going in and out of the wood than anything else. I will post a picture of a couple of the home made sanding devices that I use to sand the inside of HF's this weekend.
Thanks again,
Jack

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Really nice work, Jack.
I've been wanted to try HFs, but can't for the life of me figure out where to start.
I bought a cheap set of hollowing tools from Grizzly, but they literally fell apart the first time I tried to use them.
Is it possible to do HFs safely without fancy/expensive tools?

Great work again, I really like the natural edge and small opening. :eusa_clap

-Mike

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Mike I've made all my Hollowing tools except for one that I use for my HF's. I use 3/16" HSS bits made for metal lathes in the end of 5/8" and 3/4" bar stock I get at the local hardware store. You can buy the metal lathe bits from any woodturning catalog, but Enco is by far the cheapest place to buy them. You can use set screws taped into the tool to hold the bits or even CA glue. If you use CA to hold the bit you simply heat it with a lighter or torch to remove it if needed. This said I still have one bought tool that I wouldn't want to hollow without for my HF's. It is the #1 hook tool made by John Jordan. I don't think it can be beat for getting a HF hollowed under the top to the side. Make sure and keep the curved part of this tool beyond the tool rest or you will get a ton of torque on the tool. Here is a link to one place it can be bought. I also use his arm brace handle with it, but it is not for everyone. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...uct_Code=102723&Category_Code=tools-jord-holl
Good Luck,
Jack

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Thanks for the tips Jack.
That sounds pretty simple.
I guess I need to break out the metalworking tools and make me some goodies! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors