slow page opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
When I attempt to open a page that is secure (https) such as profiles the apge seems to open inordinately slow. Is this the "nature of the beast" or is my puter and/or browser being cantankerous ? thanks :wsmile:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
When I attempt to open a page that is secure (https) such as profiles the apge seems to open inordinately slow. Is this the "nature of the beast" or is my puter and/or browser being cantankerous ? thanks :wsmile:

Come on Glenn! Ain't things always a "little slower" out there in the "Outback?"
:rotflm:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Glenn, define slower. What kind of internet connection do you have and what is its rated speed?

In theory, there is increased latency and also decreased throughput. But in reality you shouldn't see that to point that it is bothersome.

toolman

New User
Chad
Glenn, You may need to reboot your computer. When mine gets slow I reboot and runs great after that.. I'm running Vista. Try it. It may work or not?? :rolf:

Glennbear

Glenn
Glenn, define slower. What kind of internet connection do you have and what is its rated speed?

In theory, there is increased latency and also decreased throughput. But in reality you shouldn't see that to point that it is bothersome.

It is difficult to quantify my connection speed since I use satellite and sometimes it almost weather dependent. To define slower I opened a non secure page and it took 10-12 seconds, to open a secure profile page took 1 minute 50 seconds. I am retired so it is not like I have a pressing schedule and cannot wait. :gar-La; I was just curious as to the cause for the disparity and if there was something I could do at my end. :icon_scra :dontknow: Thanks. :wsmile:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
It is difficult to quantify my connection speed since I use satellite and sometimes it almost weather dependent. To define slower I opened a non secure page and it took 10-12 seconds, to open a secure profile page took 1 minute 50 seconds. I am retired so it is not like I have a pressing schedule and cannot wait. :gar-La; I was just curious as to the cause for the disparity and if there was something I could do at my end. :icon_scra :dontknow: Thanks. :wsmile:
If it takes 10 -12 seconds to open a page then 50 seconds for secure would be well within the range of probabiity. With satellite especially.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
http://www.testmy.net/

On the left side it will show Download speed....Click there and then chose Smart test and wait WITHOUT doing anything. Results will show where you are in reference to speed and others as well.

After that go back and choose Upload Speed .......Click Smart test and wait as before.

Now you will have your internet connection speed shown but the speed of your computer as well as the amount of memory will be a big factor.

For me on XP I recommend at least 1gig of memory (Ram) and 2 is better
On Vista The minimum should be 1 gig and much better at 4 gig of Ram

The speed of the CPU will also make a huge difference, the faster the better..

Look at the bottom right side of the taskbar near the clock, you don't want a huge line of icons there, the fewer the better.

As mentioned do a restart and after all is up and running do a scandisk first and then defrag. You may need to restart for the scandisk to be able to run, if it ask if you want it to run on reboot choose yes and then restart the computer.

Good Luck

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Hey, Glen, change to Mozilla Firefox . Not sure of the technical reasons but it is much faster that Microsoft IE and more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS