Slot cutters

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I saw a video where a guy used a jig and slot cutter to open a small box and to cut for slices down to 1/16. I kinda like that idea. Doing splines with my jig on the table saw just seems awkward but being fairly new, what do I know.

Does anybody have experience with these for this purpose?

Can anybody Recommend a brand?

Amana has one but yonica or something like that has a set of 6 or so of various sizes. Seems the debate is go better quality or go home but then I also may not like the method either. HF has a cheap set as well but I do hate buying too cheap unless it gets it done for the hobbiest

Seems nobody just sells just the arbor and each size separately. Well Bosch at lowes did but just one size.

What's the consensus?

Thanks

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
Seems nobody just sells just the arbor and each size separately. Well Bosch at lowes did but just one size.

I’ve not used slot cutter router bits for this purpose, but Klingspor sells the arbor and several different sizes individually. I just bought a couple there last week.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I’ve not used slot cutter router bits for this purpose, but Klingspor sells the arbor and several different sizes individually. I just bought a couple there last week.
Great thanks. I'm still not used to checking with them since they are an hour away but I'm in no hurry to get them either.

Thanks

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Did you get half or quarter inch arbors.

Seem 1/2 might be best all around if you were to venture into the large slots

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Let us know how it works on your boxes!
Will do. I looked so simple in the video and it was a pretty clean cut. My band saw leaves a rough edge and the table saw seems to leave an odd cut towards the end like the carbide took a small slice out. All is easily fixable but fixable is more work.

Thanks

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I saw a video where a guy used a jig and slot cutter to open a small box and to cut for slices down to 1/16. I kinda like that idea. Doing splines with my jig on the table saw just seems awkward but being fairly new, what do I know.
I don't follow what you are saying here...
Are the splines for an accent on the corners like this?
Screenshot_20240224_174146_Chrome.jpg

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Just keep in mind that using a router and slot cutting bit this way limits you to cutting splines only close to the top and bottom of the box. There's no way to cut one in the middle of the box like shown on this one. It's better to do this on a table saw withe a flat top ground blade and a spine cutting jig. They're pretty easy to make.

I don't follow what you are saying here...
Are the splines for an accent on the corners like this? View attachment 226617

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Just keep in mind that using a router and slot cutting bit this way limits you to cutting splines only close to the top and bottom of the box. There's no way to cut one in the middle of the box like shown on this one. It's better to do this on a table saw withe a flat top ground blade and a spine cutting jig. They're pretty easy to make.
Thanks, i have a jig for the table saw but ahould probablymake thw craddle style for stability. Sadly I'm not much of a 3 D thinker and had not thought about the middle of the box.

So much for an interesting idea. Back to what I have been doing.

At least I saved money and don't have an extra tool lying around. Lol

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Jim,

Below is the jig I built for cutting the spline slots on my table saw. It is designed to fit over, and slide on the fence.

I'm using a Diablo combination blade. Every 5th tooth is flat ground to eliminate the "v" at the end of the cut.

62957.jpeg
62958.jpeg

I used it on these two boxes

KIMG3134.JPG

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Jim,

Below is the jig I built for cutting the spline slots on my table saw. It is designed to fit over, and slide on the fence.

I'm using a Diablo combination blade. Every 5th tooth is flat ground to eliminate the "v" at the end of the cut.

View attachment 226630View attachment 226631

I used it on these two boxes

View attachment 226633
Thanks Tm,

That's pretty much like mine. I have used it for awhile but I think I get a but if wobble on my taller boxes. Probably in a hurry so when I saw the slot but it seemed good and stable until I was reminded that it limits placement due to router height.

I also built a cradle style awhile back but just never like using it for some reason. Your style was easier to line up or so it seemed.

I did order a 1/16 slot cutter to see how it works opening a box.

Perhaps I'm like a golfer buying technology instead of spending more time learning the Craft. Lol

No offense to you golfers out there. I enjoyed it when I played.

In regards to the combo blade, that's interesting. I picked up a Freud flat tooth blade from klingspor a few years ago and splines is about all I use it for. Never thought about a combo blade. I seem to get a small uneven cut at the 4 corners. Hard to describe but thwt was what I was hoping to fix while using the slot cutter to open a box. It's odd and I get it consistently. Like it cuts just a bit deeper at the ends

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Thanks Tm,

That's pretty much like mine. I have used it for awhile but I think I get a but if wobble on my taller boxes. Probably in a hurry so when I saw the slot but it seemed good and stable until I was reminded that it limits placement due to router height.

I also built a cradle style awhile back but just never like using it for some reason. Your style was easier to line up or so it seemed.

I did order a 1/16 slot cutter to see how it works opening a box.

Perhaps I'm like a golfer buying technology instead of spending more time learning the Craft. Lol

No offense to you golfers out there. I enjoyed it when I played.

In regards to the combo blade, that's interesting. I picked up a Freud flat tooth blade from klingspor a few years ago and splines is about all I use it for. Never thought about a combo blade. I seem to get a small uneven cut at the 4 corners. Hard to describe but thwt was what I was hoping to fix while using the slot cutter to open a box. It's odd and I get it consistently. Like it cuts just a bit deeper at the ends
If I were to do it again, I'd make the "cradle" rails wider for taller boxes.

I mark where I want the slots. Put the box in the cradle and slide the fence so the box is next to the blade. Then adjust the blade height by eye.

I can then slide the fence over so the cradle is above the blade and line it up with my marks on the box.

Once I'm lined up, I'll lock the fence and cut all 4 corners, sliding the jig on the fence.

Repeat for the remaining slots.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
This is just an update that the slot cutter would not work with my router set up. I have a triton in my table and I can't raise it high enough to use the slotter and still be able to cut it where I want the box opened. I pulled the bit a bit higher than recommended but not enough to be stupid and it was not going to work.

Back to the table saw.

I appreciate the advice here and glad I did not buy a set of these for this purpose.

Joseph Delfino

JoeDel
User

I recently made this jig. It's fairly simple.
I've used it twice now, once on a picture frame and again on a box I'm in the middle of building.

If I were to build it again I'd add some t-track for hold downs but it seems fairly stable as is. You just run it against the fence.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member

I recently made this jig. It's fairly simple.
I've used it twice now, once on a picture frame and again on a box I'm in the middle of building.

If I were to build it again I'd add some t-track for hold downs but it seems fairly stable as is. You just run it against the fence.
I made one similar to this but wider (more support) and it rides on my tablesaw sled. I can clamp it to the sled and it’s very secure.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS