Slab top sewing table fresh out of the shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
I just completed this walnut slab sewing table for my wife. The antique iron base came from my great aunt. I then had a local metal worker fabricate a matching leg to extend the table out. The crotch grain in the top is gorgeous. I was lucky to find such a beautiful slab. Thanks for taking a look!
sewing table 2014 (4).jpg
sewing table 2014 (5).jpgsewing table 2014 (1).jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is BEAUTIFUL!
You really "Let the gorgeous" out of that piece of wood!

Can you tell me how you scalloped the front edge of the slab?
Also, can you take a couple of close-ups of the fabricated leg?

He did a great job on that!

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Wow that's really nice! I love the repurpose of the old sewing machine and addition of the new support. Love the finish. Well done!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece of furniture. Is the drawer part of the original sewing machine or did you make it to fit?
Everything here just really goes together so well.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Thanks Hank, I scalloped the edges with a drawknife. It makes for some really interesting facets both for catching light and tactically. I had a lot of fun doing that part. Interesting that I discovered the blond sap wood will not hold a crisp edge like the heartwood though. Also the end grain scalloping was significantly harder to do and required a very sharp knife.

I'll have to post some pics of the leg later when I'm back home.

That is BEAUTIFUL!
You really "Let the gorgeous" out of that piece of wood!

Can you tell me how you scalloped the front edge of the slab?
Also, can you take a couple of close-ups of the fabricated leg?

He did a great job on that!

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Thanks Mike. I added the drawer too. The original metal base was just that. When I got it, the top and any drawers that may have originally been part of it were long gone. My aunt had a marble slab sitting on it and used it a a plant stand for years - consequently the marble slab is now my sharpening center top!
I could not figure out how to attach the shelf to the base. So instead, I made a hanging drawer. The drawer runners are on top of the drawer sides and slide in grooved slides underneath the table top - just hoping I allowed enough room for top expansion on this slides.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I have wondered why machine tool legs go for such high prices to make steam punk furniture. I now know why. That is one nice piece of furniture you have made. The base of the sewing machine and the new leg just make the whole piece sing with that beautiful piece of walnut on top.

Roy G

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I love the marriage of metal and wood. Looks great and is a nice departure from the typical sewing machine table.

awesome slab too!

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Hank- I'm not sure if these capture what you were looking for, but here are some leg close ups. Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the pictures tovthe correct orientation on my iphone. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

eyekode

New User
Salem
Great piece! Love the wood, the metal and the "hand hewn" edge. Post this one on lumberjocks :).
Thanks for sharing!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks!
That is some GREAT ironwork!

Yea - sideways pictures seem to be the rule rather than the exception (only when you are trying to orient them!) (I just turned my head!:D) the work was beautiful either way!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS