Shoulder Plane Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSuther

New User
Stan
I recently decided that I needed to add a shoulder plane to my stable. I ordered and received a Veritas Large Shoulder Plane. I'm very impressed with the quality and ease of use. It was pretty sharp right out of the box. However, I'm thinking that it may be too large for my hands and the scale of work I anticipate doing with it. I may order the medium size Veritas to try out, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Stanley 92 or 93 or the Lie-Neilsens that you could share. The Stanleys are a good bit lower in cost, but I would be willing to pay some premium to ensure good quality.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Stan,

Try and get ahold of Fine Woodworking #171, they did a very good comparison of most of the currently available shoulder planes.

Dan C.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Check out WoodCraft store, they may have the LN and the
Stanley shoulder planes in store, that at least you can ask
to hold it in your hand see how it feels.

I have the #92 (new, made in England, not that good
workmanship), and a SW #93. I've used both, the #92
is narrower, while #93's of better quality (fit, feeling, etc.)

I have some other Veritas planes, and as you said, the
blade quality is simply better. Maybe you can contact
LeeValley see if you could swap for the medium should
plane.

Hope this helps.

Pinwu

SSuther

New User
Stan
Actually, the Lee Valley return policy if excellent. If you want to return an item for any reason, you have up to 90 days and they'll refund your shipping costs. I may just order a medium and return whichever one I prefer least. Of course, if I'm not careful, I'll end up keeping both! I like old tools and have many, but Veritas has been impressive in their ability to freshen an old design and incorporate useful changes (no, I don't work for them). I can't conveniently get to a Woodcraft store, so I'll have to rely on any comments I can get on the Stanleys.

SSuther

New User
Stan
Yes, I've got that. However, the author didn't review the Stanleys. Of course, maybe I should read between the lines on that decision. He gave top ratings to the Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane. That's one reason I went with the Veritas. I just thought that the larger version would be more of a good thing. However, as I said, it may be a bit too large for my needs.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
The Stanley 90 series planes are more rabbet planes without the nickers than shoulder planes. Shoulder planes generally have a wider side surface area so that they can reference well when used on their sides. I have one of the Lie-Nielsen small shoulder planes (bronze with wood infill) and this is invaluable to me as I use it to clear out dadoes and rabbets, etc and it will do well on the shuoulders of small tenons, etc. So I recommend that one highly. The medium shoulder plane is pretty useful as well. The large one is so large that it is a bit unwieldy in my opinion. For the tongues of tenons, I would use one of the Lie-Nielsen skewed blockplanes (these have nickers as well and are right and left handed).

SSuther

New User
Stan
Thanks for the comments. I've seen so many magazine articles and book photos showing the Stanleys as illustrations of shoulder planes, I figured I needed to find out if anyone out there actually uses them now. I'm about ready to conclude that I'll just stay with the large Veritas right now and maybe add a medium later. It is a bit large for my hands, but the heft of it is really effective in enabling smooth, controlled strokes once you get it going.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
There is an article ithe recent issue of Fine Woodworking entitled "9 Reasons to Own A Shoulder Plane".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS