Should router be my next buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantW

New User
Grant
edit: obviously i mean "router" and not "rounter" :)

As a beginning woodworker, I am struggling with the decision as to what power tool to buy next. My first new tool I bought was a jig saw, and I kind of regret that choice. Cutting straight with it is a major challenge, and I don't have anything right now to clean up and straighten the edges very well.

As I understand it, a router can do a lot of things that specialty tools can do...like straighten edges. I have my eye on the Bosch combo model (static and plunge base)...anyone have experience with it?

In what ways can a router substitute for other tools? In other words, what can expect to be able to do with it other than cutting grooves and shaping edges? Recommendations for a router table would be nice to have too.

Thanks,

Grant

Last edited by a moderator:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Grant,

I took care of the misspelled word in the title for ya. :icon_thum I'm sure you'll get tons of recommendations, however, if I understand you correctly, I think you're just trying to get clean edges? Do you have a table saw? I would go with a table saw and a nice sharp blade for straight cuts. That should provide you with nice clean cuts.

A router can also do many things. Edge profiles, rabbets, mortise and tenon joinery, etc. Definitely a great piece of equipment to have, but if you want to get the cuts right the first time, you might want to go with a table saw.... :eusa_thin Looking forward to seeing other responses.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The router you get is going to require a variety of bits to be useful. You can use a router to straighten edges (jointing), make dadoes, grooves, rabbets, and edge treatements. Adding edge treatments adds a whole new realm of possibilities.

What other hand and power tools do you currently have? You mention a jig saw, but any others?

GrantW

New User
Grant
Thanks, Trent, for the advice and correction!

Definitely the table saw is one tool high on my priority list. The reason I was leaning toward router, is that I want to get something that will give me the most bang for my buck right now. One thing I have learned since I stepped off the edge into the woodworking abyss is that the number of tools to acquire is infinite...but, unfortunately my budget is not. For smaller pieces I have been using a cheap miter box to make cuts, but for larger pieces it is either my old circular saw or the jig saw.

My first project was a workbench which I am about to finish up. From there, I was looking to make some smaller things to gain (hopefully) some skills. Things on my list right now are a display case for a knife collection and a mountain dulcimer. My ultimate woodworking goal is to eventually make a harpsichord, but I want to get the basics down well before starting on such a major task. I'm glad I found this great site!

Grant

Grant,

I took care of the misspelled word in the title for ya. :icon_thum I'm sure you'll get tons of recommendations, however, if I understand you correctly, I think you're just trying to get clean edges? Do you have a table saw? I would go with a table saw and a nice sharp blade for straight cuts. That should provide you with nice clean cuts.

A router can also do many things. Edge profiles, rabbets, mortise and tenon joinery, etc. Definitely a great piece of equipment to have, but if you want to get the cuts right the first time, you might want to go with a table saw.... :eusa_thin Looking forward to seeing other responses.

GrantW

New User
Grant
Hi, Travis. Thanks for the input. Right now I have, in addition to the jig saw: circular saw, power drill, cordless drill/driver, cheap miter box, random orbital sander, flush cut saw, various cheap clamps, face vise for my bench, combo square, and the usual assortment of household tools.

Grant

The router you get is going to require a variety of bits to be useful. You can use a router to straighten edges (jointing), make dadoes, grooves, rabbets, and edge treatements. Adding edge treatments adds a whole new realm of possibilities.

What other hand and power tools do you currently have? You mention a jig saw, but any others?

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Can't go wrong with a table saw - one of the most versatile tools in the shop. It'll do a much better job than your jigsaw on cutting a straight line (so would your circular saw btw, just clamp a guide to sheet goods for long cuts, and for crosscuts use a speed square). You can build jigs to let you cross-cut, cut miters, tenons, finger joints, dovetails, coves, you name it. If you want a shiny new one it's expensive, but there are a couple threads on the board right now about buying/restoring an older belt-driven benchtop saw. $100 or less on CL.

More generally, my 2c on what to buy when: buy the tools you need for the project you're working on. You'll gradually build your collection, and avoid buying something that sits in your shop unused. Good for those of us who buy it like-new from you on CL at used prices several years later, but bad for you.

dlrion

New User
Dan
A router is an excellent tool, but I would put a table saw pretty high on the priority list. It is kindof like a refrigerator for a kitchen... You don't HAVE to have it, but it is useful for a whole bunch of things.

GrantW

New User
Grant
Thanks, this was exactly my rationale for the router. But, judging by responses so far, it seems the table saw may be winning out.

The links are awesome btw...thanks for including those!

Grant

Grant,

I think a router is an outstanding investment for a woodworker. As you said, a router can stand in for a number of tools. With the right bits and some jigs and a simple router table you can edge-join, surface plane, cut moldings, create multiple items from a pattern, cut perfect circles, make dadoes and rabbets, cut mortises, make dovetail joints. It's almost endless.

cpw

New User
Charles
Grant,

Ultimately, the decision is yours. You know better the kind of things you want to make and you're getting a better idea of which tools will be helpful for what operations. If you're like I was starting out, you need A LOT OF BANG for your buck. Shop Craigslist and the local classifieds and the classifieds here on NCWW and get deals on tools that will work for you at your stage of the game.

Although it is not really as safe or convenient, I would point out that if you mount your circular saw to a piece of plywood and make a plungecut through and flip it over you have a table saw. Again, not safe or recommended, but possible.

Keep asking questions.

Charles

GrantW

New User
Grant
Charles, I've heard of ppl doing this, but safety is one thing I try to avoid cutting corners with. Being a keyboard player, the thought of hacking off my fingers is extra terrifying! As far as table saws, the one I have my eye on is the Bosch 4100 with the gravity stand. Pricey, I know, but I like that it has a riving knife for the price. It's $549 at Amazon and Lowes, but would like to find a used on for less.

Grant

Grant,

Ultimately, the decision is yours. You know better the kind of things you want to make and you're getting a better idea of which tools will be helpful for what operations. If you're like I was starting out, you need A LOT OF BANG for your buck. Shop Craigslist and the local classifieds and the classifieds here on North Carolina Woodworker and get deals on tools that will work for you at your stage of the game.

Although it is not really as safe or convenient, I would point out that if you mount your circular saw to a piece of plywood and make a plungecut through and flip it over you have a table saw. Again, not safe or recommended, but possible.

Keep asking questions.

Charles

thrytis

New User
Eric
Since you already have a circular saw, i think the router will give you more new capabilities than buying a table saw. You can do already do rip, cross, and miter cuts with your circular saw with the proper jigs, a table saw will just let you do those cuts easier. A router with appropriate jigs and fixtures will do (at least some) functions of a jointer, planer, and a drill press, as well as clean up straight cuts and curves, cut circles, form edges, and do a ton of joinery cuts. I can't think of any tool that does more.

The easiest way to clean up a rough edge with a router would be to use a straight edge (like a melamine covered shelf) taped to your work piece and run down it with a flush trim bit.

I have a bosch fix/plunge kit and would recommend it.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! for the table saw. A table saw is what I consider a "primary" tool in a wood shop. A router, while extremely useful, is what I consider a "secondary" tool. Until you have the "primary's" taken care of, I'd hold off on the "secondary's". As someone else said, buy them as you need them for each project. In the long run, I think you'll find the table saw far more useful than the router. That's my $.02 worth, but I'm probably overcharging. :gar-La;

Bill

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If you're really starting from scratch this guide is pretty good info and free: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/icandothat/

I used a $25 B&D Outlet circular saw and a 48" plywood saw guide (like this:
saw-guide-long.jpg

for a long time to get straight cuts. You just need the correct clean and sharp blade and set of sawhorses or a piece of 1" styrofoam board to put down on your bench or floor to cut on.

Routers are part of a fully outfitted shop but I would normally use them for different duties. Pattern work typically leans toward big bits and powerful routers.

GrantW

New User
Grant
Thanks for the responses so far folks. It looks like the opinion is split on table saw vs. router. But, like a few of you recommended, I will probably wait until I feel like I really need the tool on a project before buying. In the meantime, I am getting a saw guide to solve my cutting problem.

Grant

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Grant.

Another option for you may be to save up for a good quality power sliding mitre saw. At least this way, you would have a good option for making accurate cross cuts on material up to about 12" or so, depending on the saw you get.

If you have a woodworking buddy close by, he/she may be able to do your rips on longer pieces (or use your circ saw and a plywood guide).

When I started out, I went out and purchased a Ridgid TS2400 jobsite saw and it served me well for many projects. As suggested. Keep your eye out on your local Craigslist, as well.

Good luck. (There are many ways to skins a cat!)

BUT. STAY SAFE WITH WHATEVER OPTION YOU CHOOSE!

Wayne

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Grant,
I'm near the old Phillip Morris plant if you need anything. Happy to help. PM me.

GrantW

New User
Grant
Thanks. Tarhead. I'm sure the time will come where I will need someone to SHOW me how to do something when I can't figure it out on my own.

Grant

Grant,
I'm near the old Phillip Morris plant if you need anything. Happy to help. PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS