Should have tried this sooner - its fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought a used Jet lathe awhile -actually years ago and I finally brushed the dust off and tried to create something in the round. I had done a bunch of pens but little else. I was pleasantly suprised how quickly a 3" chunk of cherry turned into a goblet. In the photo the left goblet was my first. The right one was to match but the base got a little small and I have not figured out how to rechuck the first to make them match. The middle goblet made from mahogany was my last and I was getting more comfortable making the stem slender. Start to finish on all three was about 2 hours. I can see where this turning could get addictive. phil

goblets_004.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Great Job Phil :icon_thum- I can only dream of turning something on my lathe that looks half that good

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I love these. That is what I want to try next. Im going to see DRAGON to get some Ambrosia maple(dry) to try this with What did you finish them with?

jimwill48

James
Looking good. To re-turn the base of the one goble. You will need to make a jam chuck (depending on the size a tennis ball would work) and have a flat live center for the tailstock to help hold it against the jam chuck.

James

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Excellent! It can be addictive. I have some stuff stashed under mine to turn and I keep avoiding it because i know it will cost me at least a weekend, maybe 5, trying to shake the bug to get back to something else. Very nice work. The best piece I ever did was a goblet, but not as nice as yours.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Beautiful Goblets:icon_thum:icon_thum. It is truly addictive. I can't wait until my elbow heals enough that
I can get back to turning.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
You are ready to give classes

and teach the rest of us how to do that in 2 hours. Doing three would take me a lot longer, probably the whole weekend.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice job Phil! :icon_thum Another one falls to THE DARKSIDE.

Sooner or later this site will be called "ncwoodturner.net" :gar-La;

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Phil, those look great. And 2 hours you say? Man you are good and speedy just like in the carving class. I need to find another gear to work in. :icon_thum

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I was fortunate enough to see these in person. The walls on the goblets are very nicely done, very delicate and well proportioned. I'd guess that even relatively experienced turners would have blown through at least one of them making them so thin.

And yes, Phil is extremely fast, he has no choice since he spends most of his time helping other people! :)

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow those sure are nice! Great job! And chucking the first to match the second, how did you unchuck it? I would just rechuck in reverse??? Ahh I have know idea, I am still trying to figure them out in my head and soooo wanting to give it a try. I have a piece of Walnut jut perfect for Goblet! Hummmm

Thanks YOU ROCK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS