short log iin times

Status
Not open for further replies.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
When I work on a post with a length reply, I find that I have been automatically logged out when I try to post. This means that my text is completely lost. To circumvent this problem, I try to copy the reply test at intervals, but this works only partially as I often forget to copy. Can the open time after logging in be extended a bit?

FlyingRon

Ron
The idle timeout is 15 minutes now. Is that the one you are running into? I want to make sure thats the problem before I just increase it.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill, the first thing you should do before logging in is click the Remember me box below the sign-in log. That will keep you logged in all day unless you clear your cookies every time you close whatever browser you are using.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Can you log back in, reply to thread, and use "restore content" in the lower left corner of the screen?

ehpoole

Ethan
Can you log back in, reply to thread, and use "restore content" in the lower left corner of the screen?

In most instances if you click Reply to Thread or Reply To Post (the same post/button you originally clicked the button on) then you will have the option to resurrect an interrupted reply by clicking the “Restore Content” link that appears a moment after the reply text box is created, but this feature has never worked perfectly but it is an option more often than not if you repeat the same actions as the previous attempt. Just be aware that the reply message is only backed up about once a minute. Also you must repeat the same actions you used when you wrote originally composing the posts, so if you clicked the “Reply To Post” button on a specific post you must repeat that action on the same post or you will likely not see the option to restore presented.

As far as the logout period, it can not be significantly increased from where it is because there is a hadcoded internal value within vBulletin (this value is also used for other internal purposes such as determining concurrent users, which is why portions of it include a hard coded maximum value internally). The simple solution to alleviate this problem altogether is to click the “Remember Me” checkbox when you login to the site. This saves a cookie within your web browser that will transparently log you back in if your session times out, then you will no longer observe the timeout nor need to copy and paste your responses. This has always been the official fix for this reason.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I have the same problem. Using Firefox, although I check the remember me, it comes up with a statement that Firefox deems the site unsafe. I just have to type the letter J and then it fills out my full user name, my password shows up and I click on that to open up the site. However I get kicked off after a period of inactivity or a long post. Waiting for the new site!

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
There is no "remember me" near the login box.

Bill, the first thing you should do before logging in is click the Remember me box below the sign-in log. That will keep you logged in all day unless you clear your cookies every time you close whatever browser you are using.

ehpoole

Ethan
There is no "remember me" near the login box.

Unless there is a web browser plugin munging the page layout in some way (or a broken web browser as the site was designed around IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari), the “Remember Me” checkbox should appear directly below the username field when you are logged out (and in the process of logging in). It is only visible during login and disappears after login, so if you are already logged in then you will first need to logout, then log back in and check that checkbox below the username field.

Please let us know if you have any further issues finding the checkbox (if you can’t, a screenshot of the upper right-hand corner of your screen would be much appreciated if you are able) — Just remember it is only visible while logged out and in the process of logging back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors