Shop Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenger22

New User
Steve
I'll try to explain it the best i can, so bear with me.

Currently there are two breakers in the panel controlling the outlets and lights in the garage currently. One is controlling the lights, along with all the lights through the downstairs. So I'm not worried about the power drawn from them, hardly any.

However I am concerned about powering around my workstation and my table saw and planer. I've been reading a lot that it's wise to have a single breaker solely for the table saw, I was thinking that I could run a 20 amp breaker w/ 12 gauge wire for my TS and Planer. So essentially what I would do is add the 20amp CB into the last empty slot in the panel.

But I also need some more outlets near my workbench for my miter saw, circular saw, and etc hand tools. Could I just tie all them in with the 20 amp breaker for the TS?

What is the best way to tackle it? I'm having a electrician come out soon if I can't get any help here either. I am hoping some of you guys could guide me through this. I know how electricity works, I'm an electronics engineer, however I am unfamiliar with NEC codes and housing wiring, just the Circuit Board AC / DC Voltage.

Thanks in advance :)

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Not sure what you are really asking, but. If you run 1 12ga line then you can have several outlets based off that. As long as you don;t go over 20amps you will be ok.

I have 3 breakers in my sub for my shop.

1 240v double 20amp for my TS, Shaper, and jointer
1 120v 20amp for tools/general
1 120v 15amp for the lights and the outlet for the TV

Touchwood

New User
Don
If you're an electrical (electronics) enginner as I am, you can do the wiring yourself..you just can't do it to someone else's wiring. I wired my whole shop with it's own breaker box. You're way ahead to rewire your stationary machines (table saw, radial arm, jointer, planer) for 220V and cut the current drain in half. In general, induction motors like higher voltage a way better than higher current.:icon_thum

You can pick up a book on the codes at HD or Lowes..and depending on how confident you are, have what you did inspected or not.

If it's a new structure it has to be inspected.

Don

RayH

New User
Ray
For a garage, one-man shop I would not worry about a separate breaker/circuit for the table saw. That would be usefull (IMHO) only if you had multiple tools running at the same time or if you had some electronics on the circuit that would be sensitive to the noise generated by the saw.

You probably should not be watching TV while you are operating the table saw:eusa_naug:gar-Bi

Until recently I was running everything on two 20 amp circuits (one for lights and garage door opener and one for all exterior GFI outlets).

Good luck
Ray

kenger22

New User
Steve
Anyone in the Raleigh Area have a 1/2" Conduit bender i can borrow? Will probably be a couple days, or i can bring the pieces to you and have you bend it for me. Don't really wanna buy one for one task and then have it collect dust.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I ran 3 circuits in my shop and they work great. I ran 2 20amp 120v circuits and one 20amp 240v circuit. I've got 3 receptacles on each 120v circuit with a GFCI as the first receptacle in line fpr each. I only have one receptable on the 240v circuit.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Anyone in the Raleigh Area have a 1/2" Conduit bender i can borrow? Will probably be a couple days, or i can bring the pieces to you and have you bend it for me. Don't really wanna buy one for one task and then have it collect dust.

Steve, I have one and I'm not that far from Holley Springs. Send me a PM. Probably easiest to bend your conduit here.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS