Shop Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, with the weather kinda non-compliant this past weekend, I managed to get in some shop time. Remember all those promises I've been making about putting up some pics of my stump tables? Well, here's a few that I have about ready for final finishing.

First up is a Cherry log that was cut down last Winter. Some of you will remember coming over and wrestling with some of the smaller logs off this tree. This is one of the pieces that I cut into a tripod table and then buried in chainsaw shavings :widea: for several months to slow the drying and limit the checking and cracking.
SANY0404.JPG

Here's a shot of the same table looking from above. You can see the ring shake and some of the rot that was taking place where another branch was growing. When I initially cut into this tree, water poured out of the saw cut and the chips resembled wet coffee grounds. Wasn't sure if I'd even end up with anything usable.
SANY0406.JPG

Another shot from a slightly different angle. All things considered, this one has turned out way better than I had figured it would.
SANY0407.JPG

Next up is a Walnut butt-end log from a neighbor's place up the street. Bluthart should recall this one as he helped me out with getting it home and he also got, (hopefully some good sawable lumber), the majority of the rest of the tree. Had I been the one cutting this one down, I'd have opted for not making such a huge notch-cut. Oh well, it was free wood so I ain't complaining. When sawing into it to make the legs for the table, I discovered :crossedlips: it had been used as a barbed wire fence post at one time in it's young life. That, plus some really determined insects, had contributed to the demise of this tree, and the early retirement of one of my saw chains. Not one to be easily discouraged, I proceeded to remove said wire fence by way of hammer and chisel and carved out the remaining decomposed wood, leaving that nice gaping hole in my table.
SANY0408.JPG

SANY0409.JPG

Side shot of the sapwood and grain patterns. All things considered, it's sound and didn't turn out too bad for a chunk of what had been destined for the fireplace.
SANY0410.JPG

Now, here's my major project. I've posted a couple pics of this one before but it's getting nigh on to being a finished product now. These pics were taken right after giving her a goodly coating of lemon oil which really pops the grain. Still a long way to go yet as far as sanding and final finishing but this will be a nice coffee table when done.

Just for reference, this is how it looked coming off the stump after spending the winter "drying" in the rough. At this point, it's about 500+ lbs. and several inches thick.
SANY0239.JPG

A few trimmings and many hours with the chainsaw and sanders, and we have this;
SANY0414.JPG

SANY0411.JPG

SANY0413.JPG

SANY0412.JPG

Sorry about the glare from the flash.

Anyway, those are some of the stump/log tables I'm working on. I'll put up more pics of the others as they get to a more "picturable" stage. I've got a couple of spalted, ambrosia Maple ones that are gonna be pretty. :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip
David those are some great looking tables - you sure have done alot of work on them - I really like the last one :icon_thum

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
You have been busy David.Those tables are looking good:icon_thum. On a sad note looks like the old man down the road has already split those big stumps.:BangHead:

Next time I see any I'll give you a call.

Dragon

New User
David
You have been busy David.Those tables are looking good:icon_thum. On a sad note looks like the old man down the road has already split those big stumps.:BangHead:

Next time I see any I'll give you a call.

Oh well, someone else may be really in need of some firewood this winter and this may be the only time they'll have the ability to get hold of it. I'll get some good stumps/logs/etc. this winter. Thanks for the good words and for keeping a lookout for me.

Dragon

New User
David
Can we get a good look at that lightly ambrosia sycamore right below this one? It looks mighty juicy and I see little to no sap wood - what's up with that?

:gar-BiBelieve it or not, that ain't no Sycamore. It's an Ambrosia Maple that I cut last winter and let it dry a little too fast and it cracked on me. :BangHead:
This shot here is after sanding down the filler pieces I glued in. Not too happy with the result so I may re-do it again.
SANY0415.JPG

I've learned quite accidentally that if I allow my Maples here to "sunbathe" for a time, they take on a very nice rose to red coloring that tends to set itself into the wood. The effect is amplified if I apply a generous coating of boiled linseed oil beforehand.

Same table, but with a fresh wipe of lemon oil to pop the grain for you. (Sorry about the flash glare)

SANY0416.JPG

Another shot from a different angle without the flash glare.
SANY0417.JPG

I tried leaving the bark around the edge of the top as a different touch. Takes a little bit of sanding on the bark to get it smoothed out but it gives it a deeper reddish shade which I think goes well with the reddening of the wood itself. Maybe someone wiser than I can elaborate on what it is about the Maples that "sunning" them gives the wood the red coloration? :eusa_thin

Many thanks for your kind words on my work. I'm hoping to get a router soon and make a sled for it that will save me tons of time on leveling out the logs. Right now I go from the rough chainsaw cutting to 40 grit on the belt sander until I get it about where I want it. Then it's the old vibrator sander for finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS