Shop stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I use a rolling, adjustable height drafting table chair when I don't need to stand to work on something. My other "thinking" chair is one of those folding sling seat camping/sporting event chairs- that is where most of my sitting occurs.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I have a Yamaha VStar 650, a Kawasaki 800 and an tall wooden stool I painted black and recovered with vinyl urban camo material.

Since dust CAN be a factor in my shop, I have to cover the motorcycles. :3dblob3:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have a wood slat swivel bar stool with a back that is about right for working at workmate top height and I have a top I can clamp in to make the workmate have a reasonable table. I also made a bench that is sort of like a shaving horse but it has a metal vise at one end. I straddle it with the work in front of me for a lot of neander work. I also have a couple of folding chairs and a lap tray for carving, painting or finishing small stuff (which is mostly what I do).

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks like there are as many choices in seating as woodworkers! Some great suggestions here. I like the idea of height adjustment and a back rest. If you're going to sit down, you might as well be comfortable. I also like the footrest on Will's bar stool. Definitely want something like that. I don't like arms on a chair, that would be real cumbersome.

The only thing I'm not sure about is wheels, I like mobility but it might be less sturdy/ stable. Sliding the chair wouldn't be a problem anyway (polyvinyl tiles).

The Northern Tool stool looks really attractive in terms of features & price.
Peter - how did the height adjustment break, was it simply poor quality or was it pushed beyond the boundaries of normal operation?

Nativespec

New User
David
Kidding aside, I do have a cheap office chair w/o the back in my shop (5 wheel type) and it comes in handy at times when working around a large project laying on the floor.

And sometimes it's just fun to spin around in.

David

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Kidding aside, I do have a cheap office chair w/o the back in my shop (5 wheel type) and it comes in handy at times when working around a large project laying on the floor.

And sometimes it's just fun to spin around in.

David

What... no barcalounger ?:rotflm:

Jimmy:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Looks like there are as many choices in seating as woodworkers! Some great suggestions here. I like the idea of height adjustment and a back rest. If you're going to sit down, you might as well be comfortable. I also like the footrest on Will's bar stool. Definitely want something like that. I don't like arms on a chair, that would be real cumbersome.

The only thing I'm not sure about is wheels, I like mobility but it might be less sturdy/ stable. Sliding the chair wouldn't be a problem anyway (polyvinyl tiles).

The Northern Tool stool looks really attractive in terms of features & price.
Peter - how did the height adjustment break, was it simply poor quality or was it pushed beyond the boundaries of normal operation?

Why are you looking at a shop chair any way, your shop is small and there's a couch about 15 ft. away from it anyway.:rotflm:

ps. if possible, definitely get something with a back, even a low one.

DavidF

New User
David
I don't do much sitting down, but I do have one of those old height adjustable school chairs; mainly used as a bench helper to support stock in the tail vice! I sit on the bench for "pondering"

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Why are you looking at a shop chair any way, your shop is small and there's a couch about 15 ft. away from it anyway.
Last weekend, I did a project with my MIL (also known as the LOMLM I suppose), putting together drawer #4 for my drill press cabinet. She cuts box joints like a pro! She really enjoyed it, but has a hard time standing for any extended period of time. So a chair would be good.

Plus, I'm hoping that if I have a job that requires patience, like smoothing a curve with a file, a chair will encourage me to take my time. :drunken_s

As for the couch, my grand plan is to find a different spot for it eventually. So I can fit a drum sander and miter saw stand..... :eusa_shhh

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No stool in my shop, occasionally have have some pee :eusa_doh:

Had this for a while

Sept_05_shop_pics_007.jpg

But I needed the space.
Now if I find time to sit down, it is on a 5 gallon, empty paint bucket upside down....the top ain't too sturdy.

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I use a stool built out of scrap two by fours and scrap plywood. Not too pretty but sits ok so I will not be posting a picture. The laughs would cause health problems for some of us including me.
:rotflm:
Tracy

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Well, let's see. I have a folding camp stool, an old bar stool, a mechanics brake stool on rollers, a mahogany (Asian) rocker that a customer wanted fixed until he found out what was involved to fix it and just gave it to me.
And, oh, I have a Coke crate!!!!! The latter also doubles as a step ladder to reach things on high shelves (I'm short).
Jim in Mayberry

Ranger Dailey

New User
ranger
Old kitchen chair which is too low for anything other than sitting down to look through catalouges at things that I don't have enough money to buy.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I made a shop stool several years ago from a plan in either Shop Notes or Woodsmith. Made the top from maple and dowels for the legs. It has served me well.

Last year, I picked up a smaller, shorter swivel top oak stool at an auction. Works well also.

And then, I've got a couple of those "suicide stools" :rotflm:from Mike Davis' supply! Gotta watch them but they serve the purpose also!!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Got some big blue polyethylene feed tubs from my FIL. They're throwaways from cattle feed, about a 20 gallon size & tall enough for me (I'm 6'-1"). If i need to adjust it higher I just nest another tub inside it. They also make great step stools - upside down of course. Only problem is some of 'em stayed in the pasture a little too long if you know what I mean.:swoon: Cattle are messy critters. I also have a redwood slatted lawn chair for 'company'.

sapwood

New User
Roger
And then, I've got a couple of those "suicide stools" :rotflm:from Mike Davis' supply! Gotta watch them but they serve the purpose also!!

:slap: Hey, I got a couple of those "multi-purpose" chairs!
DaveO has one and I think Nick has one or two if he hasn't turned them into bowls or pens :D

Mike, I think they are becoming collectible :thumbsup:

Roger

Kdub

New User
Kurt
I guess the only seat in my shop is the shaving horse. to be honest though i don't sit down a lot in the shop.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
OK, now you've piqued my curiosity! I have infinite respect for people who make a chair, that is probably one of the hardest things to do. So please, post a picture! Any idiot can go down to Northern Tool/ Harbor Freight/ Lowe's and buy a chair. I go to there every week! But making something...much cooler!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS