Shop security suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
It was mentioned to place clamps in the overhead door track to keep the door from being raised from the outside. One other way to limit access is that you can put a padlock through the holes in the track to prevent the door from being opened from the inside. That way if someone gets in it's harder for them to remove large stuff from the shop. They could always cut the lock but if you use matched padlocks on both sides of the door it will hopefully take them more time than they want to spend.
Rob

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
On the theory that signs work as a deterrant, we have these from http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=627

Around $20 including shipping.

NORCO3.jpg

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
How sad this is as prevelant a concern as it is. We work with the police on a regular basis and hear too much about the crime that is going on in our area. It's up. And rising.
A few things said are particularly good ideas. The first line of thought to me is that if someone wants something you have they are going to take it. There is often little you can do about that. Be proactive. Know what you have. Document it. Log your model and serial numbers and have a picture.
Check with your insurance company. I thought I had too much insurance but I didn't have enough of the right insurance to cover what I had, but I had over $20,000 that would have covered musical instruments and furs- (my guitar is sold to the first bid over $600 and if anyone can get the fur off the dogs- oops nevermind.)
And they're right about smash and grabs. And that it's usually kids and/or a crime of opportunity. They'll steal anything and take anything for it. A friend at work lost a backpack blower and power trimmer out of the back of his pickup last week. They were sold/pawned(fenced) at a pawnshop for $25. The blower alone cost over $600. Of course the pawn guy didn't follow procedure and got no information from the seller, and doesn't remember who brought it in. PD found that whole thing very interesting.
If you are really serious, call your local police/sheriff's department and tell them you are interested in having a security check of your property. Almost all are willing and would be glad to come check out your situation and offer suggestions and discuss real options and problems. The crime prevention officers are experts in what they do.
(btw- I have a friend that did this and wound up making a large sale of pens that went to deputies last Christmas)
I tell ya'll, make friends with the police. They are a great resource and good friends to have on your side. Years ago my daughter had a room mate that was interested in illegal drugs. I arranged a canine drug dog and officer to "train a little" in her home. The roommate found she had already spent her last night in my daughters place... some things just aren't right.
Good luck to all of us on this one. I doubt this will stop being a problem but we can all do things to help. Knowledge and awareness are the first steps.

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
All great ideas. Looks like you could save a few bucks at the Home Security Store http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ on the Chamberlain Wireless Pedestrian & Vehicle Alert System with Receiver. $59.85 plus $6.96 S&H compared to the one a Northern Tool http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_534844_534844for 67.99 plus $5.99 S&H. Of course, if you have a Northern Tool close by it wouldn't make that much difference. Looks like a good, inexpensive system.

Jim, the thing with the snake reminds me of the farmer who had problems with people stealing watermelons from his field so he place a sign which said "I've put poison in one of these watermelons - You guess which one" A couple of days later he came back to check on his field and some one had added to his sign " I've put poison in another one - Now you guess which one" Wonder what he did with his crop?

Chuck

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
This thread really peaked my interest as I've had a break in or two in the past. Fortunately they didn't break me financially, but the feeling of being "ripped off" was horrible. I've tried most of the suggestions posted here except the video camera and the snake sign, I've got to work on those before someone attempts a shot at my current shop. I do have a fence and there is only one way to get onto my property, and you're going to be seen if you come in with a car, so maybe that is all I really need, but the thought of someone walking in still gets me. With even harder times coming, we can all expect things to disappear from our shops if we aren't careful and work extra hard to prevent it.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I padlock the tracks for the roll-up doors and have a double cylinder dead bolt on the door with reinforced jamb. if they come in the window they will be going out the window. [hopefully] limits what they can get. security lights help at night and a 120 pound dog keeps em wondering.:gar-La; as things deteriorate with the economy I'll be adding some kind of motion detector alarm with battery backup in case they cut the power. other than that just make sure your insurance is up to date. locks keep honest people honest. violators will be shot!:gar-Bi

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I do what I can to avoid the problem but just in case, I also have my tools engraved with my name and an ID number. I did this myself with a Dremel engraving tool (about $20).

I can't find it right now, but I know there was a thread here about keeping a database of your belongings. Of course this doesn't help deter theft but it sure comes in handy after the fact. If you have all your stuff documented with serial numbers, etc, it makes the insurance claims go smoother and helps authorities ID your stuff should it turn up somewhere.

This might be what you are talking about as far as a list, it was once posted on the site and helps with values for the insurance companies.

http://reidsmith.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/equipmentinventorylist.pdf

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
This is Bull. He sleeps in my shop and has the run of the back yard. Combined with good neighbors, locked doors, and a pistol-packing owner, he doesn't worry too much about robbers.

144389824_euUwJ-L.jpg

144389719_FD7A9-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS