Shop security suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

decibel

New User
Patrick
Hey guys looking for some suggestions here. I've just started moving things out to my little detached shed. I'm looking for a few solutions on some type of basic security system. Just makes me antsy have all my tools out there. I have an extra conduit to pull wire though to wire the main alarm panel in the house but was looking at some possible stand alone solutions. Anybody have any suggestions?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks for posting this Patrick - I too am in the same boat and am curious of what the others will say about this

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A big dog and someone home at all times, preferably trained to hit a moving target at 600 yards.

J

jeff...

A couple Devil Dogs around here does the trick of course you need to feed em and supply em with vast amounts of ammo and stuff that goes boom in the night.

devildogs-enh.jpg

T

toolferone

With a cheap 12 volt power supply you could buy a car alarm and a few door and window contacts.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
From what I understand, most robberies are based on a tip. Someone comes over to deliver X, look at Y, repair Z, sees an easy target, and then passes that information on to somebody who prefers getting stuff at a 100% discount. A dummy alarm keypad, video camera and security sign would go a long way to discourage people. And a motion activated light on the shop is both useful and a deterrent. Common sense methods, like a metal cabinet with a lock for the expensive tools and just not leaving stuff in plain sight also help.

Will an wired alarm (with or without monitoring) help? Certainly can't hurt. But a smash-and-grab takes 30 seconds. By the time the alarm company has tried to call you and notified the police, they're long gone.

The bottom line is that you are not going to keep anybody out who's determined to get in, not unless you're prepared to spend significant dollars. The trick is to make your shed less inviting than others.

Painting your Festool equipment a Harbor Freight orange might also work :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Most of the people who break into small sheds don't know Festool from Black & Decker. They're just looking for anything to sell or hock.

He probably doesn't want to advertise it so I won't mention a name but one of our members had a break-in within the last few days. Lost some big ticket items out of his vehicle and is on a very busy street.

If they want it they will get it. The worse times get, the more we will see. Better learn to protect yourself.

And don't post your security measures on public boards like this or even tell your friends.

Glennbear

Glenn
IMHO being retired from a long career wearing a badge, Mike and Bas have given some appropriate advice. The only thing I would add is that a VERY loud "noisemaker" siren or bell is also a deterrent whether the alarm system is local or central station. :wsmile:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Lots of good advice thus far.

In addition to what's been stated I'd add that a fenced in yard with a large dog is an excellent deterrant.

A good system that will alert you if anybody is near your shop during the night is this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_534844_534844

It's reasonably priced, works over a long distance, and has the ability to link 4 transmitters into a single receiver. I know several people who use it and are quite satisfied.

Scott

Dragon

New User
David
Short of .50 cals. in the guard towers around your perimeter backed up by claymores and punji stakes, there's not much you can do to stop the determined thief. Dogs, large or small, will usually raise an alarm pretty quick and active or passive security systems have their place.

Reinforce the walls, doors, and windows on your shop. Set up alarm systems, and have your insurance coverages gone over to make sure you're covered against loss. Think like a crook when you're trying to prevent burglaries. Imagine what you yourself would do if you were determined to break and steal your stuff, and then take measures to prevent that.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I agree with Glenn about LOUD being good, but the optimum is to give the impression that it is a bad idea before they get there. Be suspiscous of delivery/repair/whatever people who look around too much and make it obvious that you are. It doesn't have to be unfriendly. But they case the owners as well as the goods.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I have had this idea for a year or so but have yet to act upon it. While all the suggestions are good ones, I'm thinking of finding a "sign shop" to make me a plastic sign, somewhere along the lines of 12x18. In the middle of the sign I'll put a .jpg from the internet of a rattlesnake. At the top will be, in red,

WARNING - POISONOUS SNAKES.

rattlesnake.jpg

PELIGRO - SERPIENTES VENENOSAS

Worth a try and the $20 it ought to cost, anyway.

Would you break in, jeff...? Even just to borrow a hammer?

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Turns out the Rollup doors on my garage were the weak point in my shop security. Fortunately, the one time there was an attempted break-in, the stack of lumber I had up against the door fell on whomever was trying to slip under the door - frustrating their attempt.

I've found that a couple of $4 C-clamps in the tracks work pretty darn well to keep those doors shut. A friend suggested a couple pairs of HF vice grips, instead, for quick release to open the doors.

One other thing I hope to try out is a slightly modified pair of radio-linked flood lights (~ $60) at Blue Borg...the motion controller on one light also radios to another pair of flood lights. I hope to put the motion detector inside the garage and the "receiver" in the house to control any number of things.

I'm also thinking of a web cam installation, too.

Now, if those silly people at the lottery would *just* pick the right numbers......

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am an advocate for good locks and bars over the windows. It doesn't have to be special, but just some flat steel stock in a criss cross pattern so no one can get into a window easily. A GOOD (not cheap and not small) hasp and padlock is another
important item.

A lot of people are big on motion sensitive lights, and I think they are good, but growing up, my parents house was never robbed at night. It was always during the day when we were at school/work, regardless, I believe they are a good thing and recommend them.

My thought process is to look around and think about how I would get into the shop if I have locked myself out. Any way that is easy is going to be used. If you have a small padlock with a small hasp with 1/2" screws on it don't be surprised that Joe Schmoe comes over with a claw hammer and pulls it off and walks right in and cleans you out.

decibel

New User
Patrick
Lots of good suggestions here for sure. I think physical security and noisemakers should go a long way. I'm looking to ditch the padlocks/hasps all together and go with perhaps a deadbolt style solution. (Another one of my goals is to lock the doors from inside and I'm paranoid somebody will lock me in :) )

I kicked the idea around of a 12 volt based car alarm and other solutions. The windows should be in good shape as I purposely put in small windows so if somebody tries I'm sure I'll see legs sticking out my windows when i get home (18" wide). My main concern is the hand tools in a smash and grab and I know I can't keep them all put up.

Some places that may have some interesting things you guys might be interested in.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/
http://www.x10.com(various automation stuff not exactly the most "secure" system but fun stuff)

I'll probably do blend of these systems with motion sensors, door contacts/sirens and strobes, and add some cameras to serve as dual purpose of surveillance and webcam so people can see what I'm doing when I'm in the shop (which is more than likely making "scraps and wood for the smoker" :rolf:)

Currently the security is all passive and I will get a signal in the house if something is going on out there and then I can go out with my "peacemaker/noisemaker" to settle things up :elvis:

cpw

New User
Charles
I like some of Bas' ideas. I worked in a common studio space for ten years and one of the easiest ways to deter a thief was to paint something so stinkin' ugly (and distinctive) that it would be too easy to identify if discovered. I used to paint stuff with four or five different colors of spray paint and stencil my name on them. Not good if you plan to re-sell later, but a great deterant.

I like motion lights too.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The wireless alarm system that I posted earlier contains a pair of form C contacts on the base unit.

One option that you have is to place the units INSIDE the building, with the contacts wired to a relay that triggers a very loud alarm siren.

You could probably do the whole thing for under $200.00.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Can't add much on security. My neighbors are great and we keep an eye on each other's stuff.

Document what tools you have, what they're worth and make sure your insurance covers them.

Chuck

J

jeff...

I have had this idea for a year or so but have yet to act upon it. While all the suggestions are good ones, I'm thinking of finding a "sign shop" to make me a plastic sign, somewhere along the lines of 12x18. In the middle of the sign I'll put a .jpg from the internet of a rattlesnake. At the top will be, in red,

WARNING - POISONOUS SNAKES.

rattlesnake.jpg

PELIGRO - SERPIENTES VENENOSAS

Worth a try and the $20 it ought to cost, anyway.

Would you break in, jeff...? Even just to borrow a hammer?

I would not break into anything that don't belong to me but I really think your on to something there :gar-La;

Badabing

New User
Joe
I do what I can to avoid the problem but just in case, I also have my tools engraved with my name and an ID number. I did this myself with a Dremel engraving tool (about $20).

I can't find it right now, but I know there was a thread here about keeping a database of your belongings. Of course this doesn't help deter theft but it sure comes in handy after the fact. If you have all your stuff documented with serial numbers, etc, it makes the insurance claims go smoother and helps authorities ID your stuff should it turn up somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS