Shop Organization and CleanUp

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I've noticed when visiting some other woodworkers that shops seem to fall into 3 or more categories. Especially in the "ORGANIZATION AND CLEANLINESS" areas. I see shops like Alan's and I wonder "does he EVER get that place dirty?" Then, I see mine and I wonder, "will I ever get this place cleaned up and organized?"

If you rate Organization and Cleanliness on a scale of 1-5, where would your shop fall?

Here's mine: Organization-3 Cleanliness-2 (on a good day):embarrassed:

Two things have influenced me in a positive way recently. One is a new woodworking buddy who keeps his shop extremely clean. It's also very organized.
Another is a recent article in a WW mag about preparing for a project, and it lists "Cleaning Up" as the first thing we should do.

I'm trying!!
:wsmile:

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
Hi Reggie,
I know what you mean, I think a lot has to do with the size of your shop. When the shop is small everything seems unorganized, like mine. when you have a lot of space--well I don't need to go there since I don't know what that would be like.:no: However, I do know where every thing is, I just can't always get to it when I need to. Right! :wink_smil
Ratings for me would be organization 2, cleanliness 4.
Hope all is well with you.
Big Al

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ha, you said it.

I'd have to rate my shop a solid 5 (1 being the best, 5 the worst?).

I've been working on it for the last week. I can't even step into the shop without stepping/tripping over stuff.

I end up having to work outside the shop, then end up with piles of tools right in the doorway. On the floor..... oh the humiliation.

Thanks for the magazine tip, hadn't read that.

Jim

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I rate my shop a 1. For those who haven't looked, check out the "Workshop Photo" thread on the forum. I have a couple of rules that I follow. When I am done with a tool, I put it back in it's place. Even if I may need it in 30 minutes. I try to keep everything organized and close at hand. My second rule is I never leave my shop without doing a quick cleanup. I also take a few minutes here and there during the mess making process to clean. I've learned that I'd much rather spend 5 minutes here and there cleaning than 2-3 hours of steady cleaning. When I finish a project, I put away any cutoffs/leftovers that I want and trash the rest. I am not a packrat. If I don't really need it, I don't keep it. I have a son that works in a cabinet shop and he does many side jobs out of my shop. He follows my same work ethics, at work as well as at home. Take time to get organized and you will find it easy to keep organized. Believe me, my shop does get messy, but by design, i.e., everything in cabinets, it is easy to clean. The large wall exhaust fan, 2 open windows and the air hose does wonders for blowing dust off everything. Then again, good dust control/collection is the key.
Charlie

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Charlie's is definitely a 1, so is Touchwoods! Mine is a 2 and sometimes a 1. Since my shop is small and I have crammed a lot of stuff in there, I have to keep it clean and organized to get anything done. If I had a bigger shop it would probably be a 3 at best.

Glennbear

Glenn
Cleanliness 2 - DC system not completed yet.
Organization 5 - Still building storage spaces. :wsmile:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
1=best 5=worst?

This week my shop is as clean as it has ever been so 2. It is usually a 5.

It is not organized as well as I would like but things are together mostly in drawers and on shelves. I think most average folks could find things in there.

But, to have cabinets and purpose built drawers would be a blessing. A tiny shop is better than no shop in that all my tools are in one place but a curse in that all my tools are in one place. It would be nice to spread out a little.

So I guess a 3 on organizing.

Then when you consider the fact that I only get about one day a month to work in my shop and I do actually produce usable objects in there maybe 1s are in order? :rotflm:

Cleanliness to output ratio: yeah that's it!

jjstillwell

New User
Stillwell
Well, I'm thinking I'm a 4 for both organization and cleaniless on your scale and a 3 for both on my scale. Everything does have a home, but I don't have much space so it always looks cluttered.

I just have to get better giving myself the magical 5 minutes here and there that Charlie refers.
But...I'll take the 4 (or 3) and run since I no longer have to work in the driveway.:icon_cheers

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Organization on mine is rated a 2

Cleanliness averages about a 3, but at times is a definite 4 and when it gets that way I make it a 2 which only lasts until the next time I'm in it.:gar-La;

Cleanliness and organization will never be a 1 by choice, I have too many things going on in my life to be obsessive/compulsive.:gar-Bi

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I rate my shop a 1. For those who haven't looked, check out the "Workshop Photo" thread on the forum. I have a couple of rules that I follow. When I am done with a tool, I put it back in it's place. Even if I may need it in 30 minutes. I try to keep everything organized and close at hand. My second rule is I never leave my shop without doing a quick cleanup. I also take a few minutes here and there during the mess making process to clean. I've learned that I'd much rather spend 5 minutes here and there cleaning than 2-3 hours of steady cleaning. When I finish a project, I put away any cutoffs/leftovers that I want and trash the rest. I am not a packrat. If I don't really need it, I don't keep it. I have a son that works in a cabinet shop and he does many side jobs out of my shop. He follows my same work ethics, at work as well as at home. Take time to get organized and you will find it easy to keep organized. Believe me, my shop does get messy, but by design, i.e., everything in cabinets, it is easy to clean. The large wall exhaust fan, 2 open windows and the air hose does wonders for blowing dust off everything. Then again, good dust control/collection is the key.
Charlie

Charlie, you da man! :icon_thum:icon_thum

What you espouse here is exactly what I need to embrace! ESPECIALLY the 'put it away when you're done" part. And, I am a self confessed packrat. I just can't seem to throw anything away that's big enough to make a birdhouse out of! :nah:

The "take 5 to clean" is what I need to practice every time I leave, but, I don't. I'm working at it, but I've got a LONG ways to go!!

:embaresse

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
A good way to keep things kind of neat is to put away 5 things every time you enter the shop. One item could be as easy as putting a screwdriver away or throwing a rag away. I do it, just not enough, and it does work if it's followed.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
A good way to keep things kind of neat is to put away 5 things every time you enter the shop. One item could be as easy as putting a screwdriver away or throwing a rag away. I do it, just not enough, and it does work if it's followed.

thats what I do!:gar-Bi and then I get 8 more things out!:rotflm: I think this could be a fund raiser. everybody donates a dollar to the site then posts 2 or 3 pics of the shop. then everyone who is paticipating gets to judge from 1 to 5! the site gets some cash and we find out just how good [or bad] we do.:gar-Bi then we know what we need to work on. [or not]:rotflm: My shop? rating? hmmmm.... I aint going there!:gar-La; I'll take jacklegs word on that!:cool:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Better yet, everytime you get a tool out to use it, put a quarter in a jar, then everytime you put a tool away, take a quarter out of the jar and put it in your pocket. See which fills the quickest, the jar or your pocket!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Better yet, everytime you get a tool out to use it, put a quarter in a jar, then everytime you put a tool away, take a quarter out of the jar and put it in your pocket. See which fills the quickest, the jar or your pocket!

I'm starting my jar collection as we speak!:rotflm:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I seem to recall an article that suggested you put away 10 tools every time you go into your shop. Trouble is I usually have out 20 tools from the last project.
I can't give myself good or even average scores on either issue.
You can call me a pack rat. I am.
You can call me messy. I am.
But you AIN'T calling me late for supper!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My shop varies. Before I start on something new I have to clean up the shop, that is often the inspiration I need to get something started. But while the project is in the works my shop gets increasingly messy. In general I keep the floor of my shop swept, as it is the main way I enter and leave the house and where I go to smoke. But the mess on my benches will remain until it's time to start something new.

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Because nothing is ever as bad as it could be, I'll give myself a 4 for cleanliness and a 4 for organization. My shop needs a big snowshovel, a 10-yard dumpster and a 150 MPH leaf blower traverse just for starters. I do not allow visitors as it is too hazardous (to my ego). But it's mine...

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

That seems like an awesome way to do things, But I will need more jars:gar-Bi.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I'll give mine a 3 on organization: I have a designated place for most everything, and it goes back to that place after its use is finished, but some things could be more convenient (for instance, if I put some drawers under my workbench for my planes and chisels, they would be much easier to reach as needed).

For cleanliness, I started the day at a 2: Some dust in the corners but the floor and benches were all clean. I was reducing some oak pallet boards into useable lumber when I decided to open the garage door: Enter a 35 mph gust of wind and it all went to 5 in a cloud of (saw) dust, pine needles and half the neighborhood!!:BangHead: Probably have it back in the 3 status now, which is wheere it will stay for a few days

I'm just tickled that I have a place to work, and a LOML that is okay with her vehicle being parked outside!!:mrgreen:

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS