Shop Fun With Grandson and SIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
The teenage grandson asked for a cabinet for his CD's, DVD'a, etc. I agreed on the condition he would be in the shop helping with it, which he and the SIL were happy to do.:icon_thum This is our result.
The door panels are oak ply that Eddie (SIL) found somewhere, that had nice pattern. Except for the back the rest is solid Red Oak. The panels are framed with 1/4" thick R.O. that has some nice ray fleck in it.
The finish is 5 coats of satin Resisthane water based lacquer sprayed with the HF HVLP sprayer (my first sprayed project). I was surprised how forgiving the Resisthane is, even I had a hard time messing it up!:nah:

Thanks for looking
ken

Attachments

• zach3.jpg
    zach3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 178
  • zach2.jpg
    zach2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 189

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Ken, that's a nice job, Brother. You have just answered my question as to what spray rig to buy. If you can get that kind of results from a HF sprayer, that will do what I want and more.

Mind telling me which sprayer you have? Thanx.

:eusa_thin

MikeH

New User
Mike
Ken,
That looks great! What a great way to spend time together and I'll bet he takes really good care of it since he had a hand in building it. :icon_thum

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Ken,

The case is beautiful. I'll bet it was a lot more fun building with your grandson's participation.

From the photos, it looks like the doors area fairly deep. Could you show us a photo with the doors open? My son asked for a new DVD case (his collection outgrew the original) and I could use all the inspiration I can get.

Ray

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ken,

That is a beautiful piece. More importantly, you were able to share knowledge with the SIL and grandson. Good for you! :icon_thum

Trent

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Ken,

The case is beautiful. I'll bet it was a lot more fun building with your grandson's participation.

From the photos, it looks like the doors area fairly deep. Could you show us a photo with the doors open? My son asked for a new DVD case (his collection outgrew the original) and I could use all the inspiration I can get.

Ray

Thanks Ray,
Here it is, it's based on one in Wood magazine, if you'd like the issue number gimme a yell.

zach1.jpg

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nice work, The sheet goods that Eddie found complement your solid wood nicely. I will have to consider HVLP when I start making my household furniture here.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Outstanding! Good design for a bar too, just need something to cover the top of the doors when open. Very nice solid feel to the whole piece.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Beautiful job Ken and assistants :icon_thum
And it looks even better when you see what's inside. The design lends itself well to multiple storage uses.

Roger

Badabing

New User
Joe
:eusa_clap Beautiful work :eusa_clap
There's nothing like sharing shop time with the family! Especially when you can turn out something so nice and the recipient has a hand in creating it. Kudos to you :notworthy:

I love the pattern on those door panels and the storage space is awesome :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ken that's a really sharp looking piece. The door panels really set it off and show a great attention to detail that you will only find in something handcrafted.
I have the same HF HVLP sprayer, while it hasn't acctually applied a finish to anything yet (hopefully soon) I have sprayed some water with it to practice and was surprised at how well it worked. It comes with three tips like you said - .07, .05 & .03 per my HF digital calipers.
What tip did you used for your spraying???

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors