Shop Fox 20" Drill Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Still working on the play houses I am finally doing the windows. As such, I need to tilt the drill press table on the Shop Fox I bought in a group buy with three other members.

I see that it has two allen screws with lock nuts which seems a bit different, but I figure they are for adjusting the table to level. So finally I pull out the manual and see that I have to loosen the big center bolt. The center bolt is huge. The largest socket I have a 1 1/16"will not even come close to fitting. Pull out the tape measure (the metric one since it is chiwanese) and it is 30 millimeters. So for you other guys that have this unit, if you ever want to tilt the table, get a socket or a wrench to fit it as an adjustable wrench, channel lock pliers, what have you will not work as the space is too tight.

Guess I am going to Sears tomorrow.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I ran into the same thing on the Steel City DP--------only it is like 23 mm------and no wrench supplied with the machine.

Jerry

Monty

New User
Monty
Hmmmm... sounds like a pain. I'm not sure how big the pieces are that you're working on, but could you make a jig to hold them at the proper angle? I never liked tilting the table on the drill press.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I ran into the same thing on the Steel City DP--------only it is like 23 mm------and no wrench supplied with the machine.

Jerry

Similar circumstance happened when I added a riser to my 14" BS. Instructions stated I need a 26 mm wrench (not included) for the new bolt :BangHead: The wrench cost about $26 at Sears and the bolt was actually a 25 mm :slap: Guess they forgot to measure twice and print once :-(

Roger

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, I bought a wrench set at Harbor Freight for $24.99. Unfortunately, it didn't work as I expected and it is a PITA to try to get set to 90 degrees. You can do small angles, but I wouldn't recommend anything above 45.

Soooooo, I took Monty's suggestion and built a jig. Oh well, live and learn.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Since most sockets this size are used one time in a person's lifetime it's pain to buy them and watch them sit there.

Fortunately, most auto parts stores will let you use them for a small deposit.

You might call around and see what you can find if this ever comes up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS