Shop Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
This past Tuesday I made my first sawdust. Which may not be that great for carving purists, but for me it was awesome.

History: Many years ago, (I was in the 3rd grade if memory serves correctly), a salty old woodcarver came to my school and did a presentation on his craft. Generally he did carvings of sailors like this -

He gave us all blanks (we could choose which one we wanted from like 3 different ones) and a finished one to use as a guide. Unfortunately I gave my finished one to a niece,nephew or cousin long ago. For whatever reason, I have held on to the blank for many many years. Every once in a while I have tried whittling on it with my grandfather's old dull pocket knife. As you can see in the pictures of the blank:

Well on Tuesday, while unpacking a box, I found it and decided to try out my Dremel on it. Since I have only used my Dremel to saw off rusted bolts, I thought this was a good WW application. I put in one of the straight cutting bits and went to work. The blank is not very big (see some of the in progress pics for scale), so I clamped it to the countertop(my only bench at the moment) in the garage or for certain angles, I put it in the vise of my benchtop drill press. (Got to work with what you have right?). I have already learned alot about how to burn the wood and hog out too much in one area :rotflm:. I don't have the flex shaft, so I am doing all this by holding the Dremel in both hands. I have take a break from this project to start my reindeer yard art, but I will go back and post more pics when the Shop Dog is done. Here are my in progress pics:

Thanks,
Will

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looking good Will. If I tried anything like that, I'd have the SPCWA (The Society for Prevention Of Cruelty to Wooden Animals) on my doorstep.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
:eusa_clap That's great Will!
If it had been me, it woulda looked like a cat :roll:

Roger

If I improved and did the best carving job I could possibly to, it MIGHT look close to a cat. Otherwise you'd be saying.. [mouse]What the heck is that?[/mouse]

I leave the carving to LOML, she did some great Santas.

Good job and great story.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
A good start on the dog and a great story to tell.

Did I hear you say you would like some knife sharpening lessons?

Actually, yah, I need sharpening lessons badly. I have 2 planes and 3 chisels that I got for Christmas that are brand new and in need of sharp edges....as well as a host of pocket knives.
:biggrin:

I purchased two magazines from Lowe's for the flight to Florida during our recent vacation. One was 120+ shop tested tips and techniques (ShopNotes special Collector's edition with an included CD) - highly recommended for the volume of jigs in it. The other was Popular Woodworking Feb 2008 issue #167. There is an article in there about sharpening jigs and then another author talks about how he feels that you should learn how to sharpen your tools by hand without them because it is a necessary skill to build "feel and eye hand coordination". There is a link to a tutorial that I have read and I was going to try to do it. If someone is willing to teach me though, I think it would be better than me trying to learn on my own with no supervision. Here is the link I mentioned:
www.antiquetools.com/sharp

Will

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Man when I saw the title of this thread and the forum it was in I was really concerned.
Nice carving, I'm very happy it wasn't a real shop dog/cat :dog::cat::eusa_naug

Dave:icon_prof

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Man when I saw the title of this thread and the forum it was in I was really concerned.
Nice carving, I'm very happy it wasn't a real shop dog/cat :dog::cat::eusa_naug

Dave:icon_prof

[EVIL]Good shock value muahaha[/EVIL]

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors