shoe polish finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

New User
jay
I'd like to create an ebonized finish on some poplar using black shoe polish. I'm looking for pointers about how to do this:

1) Any particular brand of polish work better than another?
2) Should I just wipe it on and wipe off the excess immediately or let it sit for a few minutes?
3) Should I expect one coat to be sufficient?
4) Would it be possible to seal it afterwards? I've seen some comments that the wax in the shoe polish prevents any sealant from binding.

Any other experiences you've had, in particular what NOT to do :lol: would be much appreciated....

Thanks,
J

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Jay - see the latest issue of FWW. There is an article in there about using water-based and aniline dyes to ebonize, followed by a sealer coat. Might be just what you want ...

DavidF

New User
David
I'd like to create an ebonized finish on some poplar using black shoe polish. I'm looking for pointers about how to do this:

1) Any particular brand of polish work better than another?
2) Should I just wipe it on and wipe off the excess immediately or let it sit for a few minutes?
3) Should I expect one coat to be sufficient?
4) Would it be possible to seal it afterwards? I've seen some comments that the wax in the shoe polish prevents any sealant from binding.

Any other experiences you've had, in particular what NOT to do :lol: would be much appreciated....

Thanks,
J

Why????:lol: use Indian Ink or black metalized dye, I think you'll be much happier with the result and you can seal it afterwards with the film finish of your choice.

JRD

New User
Jim
I'd be very reluctant to use shoe polish.

Not only the wax in the polish preventing the application of any other finish or top coat, but I've also read that most shoe polishes also contain silicon.

From what I've been able to glean, silicon should never be applied to wood. Why not? Sorry, but that fact eludes my mind right now. I just remember reading that shoe polish and wood are not a good combination because of the silicon.

Jim

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Years ago I was inspired by a mag writer to use 'shoe polish' finish.
My experience is that it never completely dries; it fades; and nothing else will go over it!

I've used onyx dye for a black sheen and ebony dye for a flat effect. I used ink dye once and remember that it was messy and expensive and wound up with pretty much the same result as using onyx.

Having said all that, I am not a finishing expert!

Sully

New User
jay
Jay - see the latest issue of FWW. There is an article in there about using water-based and aniline dyes to ebonize, followed by a sealer coat. Might be just what you want ...

Thanks, I'll take a look at the article.

Why????:lol: use Indian Ink or black metalized dye, I think you'll be much happier with the result and you can seal it afterwards with the film finish of your choice.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into these too.

Years ago I was inspired by a mag writer to use 'shoe polish' finish. My experience is that it never completely dries; it fades; and nothing else will go over it!

That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to experiment with something else via the dyes.

I'd be very reluctant to use shoe polish.
Not only the wax in the polish preventing the application of any other finish or top coat, but I've also read that most shoe polishes also contain silicon.

With regards to the silicon, it prevents other finishes from sticking to the wood. Silicon is completely banned from my shop. Once it gets on one thing it gets everywhere and is impossible to remove and prevents finishes from sticking. It's the same reason you should never use a product containing silicon for lubing shop equipment. I guess I'll throw out those 14 boxes of shoe polish I just purchased ... :lol: just kidding.

J

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Jay, Since most have suggested that you use products designed for wood, I think you should try the shoe polish on a test piece and then the finishes of your choice. Shellac with alcohol base, or poly with petroleum base, may bind with the shoe polish. The worst that can happen is that it won't adhere. And you may discover the next rage in the shoeshine business.

I, for one, would be interested in hearing the results of your test.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors