She went from suck to blow...................... the death of a dust collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimmy2016

Scott
My old Sears Craftsman dual engine dust collector gave out last night.. and I am looking at purchasing the following as a quick, cheap fix.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

I am also thinking of upgrading the bag to this to help with the filtering.
https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/bh11765/

Does anyone have any experience with these machines or that bag?

The system I really want is about $1100 but I am just not ready to do that. Need to save for a new planer as that ALSO gave out on me last night and is giving me fits to get it fixed (It is a Harbor Freight model itself)

Lastly, does anyone have any good references about using PVC piping to run a dust collection setup? I have watched a few videos but anyone that can share helpful hints or tips would be appreciated

PS - Props to anyone who knows the reference in my subject line! :widea:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Be sure to have machine in hand before purchasing filter bag. You may not need the 20" bag. You can add a Thien Baffle either ahead of blower, or in filter ring itself. This will help with keeping upper bag clean.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey Scott how about you take a look at the unit I have at my dads when your over tomorrow morning. I'm sure we could come to some terms. No pressure just take a look.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Firstly, what is a dual engine dust collector?
If your looking for a 1.5hp dust collector from the chinese side of the fence then pvc might not be in the cards at the moment. Just in case your going that direction S&D is what you want but having a seperator will improve the overall performance. Why not build your sep setup on a 55 gallon drum and run a single 20" hose that can be moved around.
Thirdly, I have a 13" delta planer and a double stack Penn State pleated 3 micron filter that is available as of today.Pictures are available
Greg

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
I had a 2HP Harbor Freight DC, it does the job as long as it's connected to one machine at a time. I don't believe it has sufficient enough suction to handle long stretches of ducting with blast gates. If going down the HF route, I'd recommend putting the machine on a mobile base, and manually connecting to the machine with as short a ducting run as possible.

Secondly, I used a thien baffle with the HF DC, and it dropped the suction power quite a bit. If a cyclone is in the works for you, you could skip the baffle altogether.

I replaced the crappy bag that comes with the DC with a Wynn Filter. They're expensive, but they're very very efficient at what they do. https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/harbor-freight-collectors/

I bought my DC and filter about 2 years ago, I have since upgraded to a clearvue. If you're looking to buy used, I can sell you mine (both filter and DC). I don't think I've retained the plastic collection bag though.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Concerning PVC ducting, I would run a bare ground wire inside the PVC and ground it on all ends to discharge any static electricity from flowing dust. Make sense? I did it to my rubber hose on my planer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS