Sharpening station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi All,

There's been a lot of stuff lately about tool sharpening equipment and thought I'd share with you the approach I came up with circa 1993. There were very few inexpensive systems around then (in fact none), I was into turning and needed a better way (faster way) than hand honing. I built this station shortly after I got everything moved from the garage to my new
shop.

CIMG4051.JPG

I picked up the 1/4 hp Baldors on sale from Dillon Supply (they've since gone away) for about $20 each. The Prairie Slow Speed grinder cost about $20 at the time..not sure where I got the buffer, but I've seen similar around. I saw the Prairie grinder on E-Bay for $10 a couple of months ago.

CIMG4052.JPG

The Baldors run at 1725 rpm, so I got a shaft and pillow blocks from Grainger and put a 6"pulley on it, with a 2" pulley on the motor. That gives a 3 to 1 speed reduction so the grinder turns at about 575 rpm. The buffer is direct 2" to 2" pulleys so it's at motor speed.

CIMG4053.JPG

I built an extension type tool holder to get the right grind angle. Here are a couple of shop made tools I used on the station for sharpening. The Sheffield steels came from Garrett-Wade..the handles were home-made and the ferrules are copper pipe segments.

CIMG4077.JPG

The inspiration for the king sized tools was a Richard Raffan VHS tape I still have...He was big on these kind of tools at the time.:gar-Bi

Don

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I remember that set up very well from the shop tours. Thought then and still think it was a neat and impressive set up using readily available parts and materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS