Sharpening Carbide

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystry_tour

New User
Update your profile with your name
yep....and if you have a lathe and an old rotor from your brakes you can put it on that and have a very nice sharpening "stone"
Tour

J

jeff...

Thanks Mike, I thought so. I tend to think it's like anything else, it's good to keep it sharp , before it becomes so dull that you have to spend a significant amount of time trying to get it sharp again.

I have not tried carbide. Looks like I'm in for a learning experience :-D

I'm going to be ordering some diamond paddles after the first of the year. I have lots of blades that need to be sharpened. Any suggestions on some half way decent paddles?

Thanks

sawman

New User
Albert
I have heard of this so I sent the link to myself to try it. Have some of the diamond honing sticks so I will be in the shop Wednesday. Good find and question Jeff.

Later,
Albert, Al or whatever

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I've touched up my router buts for years. I use a DMT red diamond sharpening stone Just take bit and remove bearing if it has one, then slide back and forth along edge of "stone". Corner of "stone goes into relief area of bit. Bit kinda hugs corner of "stone". Makes it hard to mess up, and for me that is a PLUS!

Charles M

New User
Charles
While I am personally a very thrifty guy and appreciate that this sounds like a money and time saver, PLEASE do not believe that this is a good idea. Having worked in the tech department of Freud for 11 years I have seen nearly every type of tooling problem you could imagine and among those are a lot of bits, blades and cutters that were ruined by hand honing. The most prevalent damage has been uneven cutting edges and changes to the face angles. If you can find a way to remove exactly the same amount of carbide from each surface while maintaining exactly the same face angle I would be truly impressed. Removing too much from one tip puts more load on the other tip(s) so that best case scenario is reduced cut quality and worst case is failure of the tip(s) that are experiencing increased load. I recommend finding a good sharpening service that you can trust to do consistent, quality work and only do the cleaning yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors