Setup for tenon for breadboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I used a breadboard on my secretary last summer so I know how to setup the tablesaw for the tenon however before making that cut on my tabletop I would like some advice. This tabletop is 38" long and 28" wide. I would like some suggestions as to how to safely and accurately setup for the tenon to be cut. thanks I think it is too wide for the fence to be placed on it while it is pushed through the blade. Lorraine

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine, I would make the shoulder cut on the tablesaw. And then remove the rest of the waste with a router and straight edge to make sure you don't booger up the shoulder cut.
Practice the cut on the tablesaw first without the blade, to see if the panel moves smoothly over the table. You night want to wax it to make sure you have no resistance while moving it over the table. If the TS cut doesn't feel comfortable to you, you can do the entire process with a router, straight bit and straight edge guide fence.

Dave:)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I made this cut with the tablesaw when I made the breadboard for the secretary last summer, my memory of it is just a little gray this morning. I can set up the fence across the table to get the correct position but I can't use the other fence to push it through because it is too wide. But I can make the cut using the fence to get my first cut in the correct place. I thought about using the router with a straight bit and a fence to guide it across.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Ok, I understand Mike. I am trying to decide how to make the cut on the top for straight edge after the glue up I just finished. I keep looking at it and nothing seems safe and accurate. The top is 29" wide. I have a sled but the 29" is too wide for it. I could use the RAS but it cuts 12" so two 12's only equal 24" so that isn't an option. I could put a guide on it and use a jig saw but that seems wrong. Help:BangHead:
Maybe the guide and a cross cut saw?

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Why not use a dado setup with a sacraficial fence and a featherboard to hold it down tight to the table? This would give the exact shoulder and height cuts to form a perfect tennon.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Ok, I understand Mike. I am trying to decide how to make the cut on the top for straight edge after the glue up I just finished. I keep looking at it and nothing seems safe and accurate. The top is 29" wide. I have a sled but the 29" is too wide for it. I could use the RAS but it cuts 12" so two 12's only equal 24" so that isn't an option. I could put a guide on it and use a jig saw but that seems wrong. Help:BangHead:
Maybe the guide and a cross cut saw?

Clamp a straight edge across the top and use a skill saw to square it up.
Just allow for the distance from the edge of the shoe on the saw to the blade when you clamp the straight on. Double check the straight edge for being square. Make the cut from the bottom of your top so the splinters, if any, will be on the bottom of the top.:)

Jerry

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Skill saw didn't work very well for me so I resorted to the RAS, made the first cut, flipped it over and crept up on the second cut and got it perfectly even. I am now deciding on the tenon. Norm says use a router and straight bit, maybe. Lorraine

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am now ready to cut the tenon for the breadboard and again need suggestions. I have a top that is 37 3/4" long and is 15/16" thick. Odd number I know. the bread board is to be 2" wide and the mortise is to be 1" deep unless someone has a better suggestion. My question is the size of the tenon. Would 5/16 for the groove and 5/16 for both sides be suitable?
the plan for the application is a router with a fence and a 1/2" mortise bit.:BangHead:

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
thanks Mike, so be it. If I had had my ruthers, I would have had 1 3/8" tabletop but I used the stock that I had in my storage building and the son and his wife seem pleased. One last thought, would 1" deep be strong enough support for a 2" breadboard? Thanks again Lorraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors