Setting up a Planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattcg164

New User
Matt
I got tired of paying big money for planed lumber for my weekend projects. I just purchased an older 12.5" planer and built a planer bed to get started.

It was an older machine and didn't come with a manual regarding correct setup. Are there any tricks to ensure it is planing properly other with some straight edges and levels and practicing on a few pieces to dial it in?

eyekode

New User
Salem
Bob Vaughn has a video on setting planer knives. It probably doesn't directly relate to the type of machine you bought by it is worth watching because I believe it explains snipe.
http://www.google.com/m/url?client=...twIwAA&usg=AFQjCNGtK_imMJlg0-7W8ObzuNR4XVzeUw

Snipe is really the big enemy of planers. On portable planers I have found you want the infeed and outfeed tables flush where they meet the planer bed and just a hair high at the opposite. You might find that lifting the board slightly as you feed the lumber in and lifting it slightly when the board comes out reduces snipe. If so dial this into the infeed and outfeed tables.

The other thing about portable planers is they cannot take big bite! Take multiple light passes instead.

Good luck!
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS