Self centering mortiseing tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

air force 1

New User
Joe
Self centering mortising tip
Hey you all,I had another cup of coffee this morning and come up with this. Take the base plate off your router,drill two holes for your "T"nuts and install two "T"nuts the thickness of your base plate and the same distance from center (bit position). One on each side and glue with F26. With a scew or bolt the size of your "T"nut,cut off the head to make a pin 3/4" plus the part that is screwed in the base plate. Put the base plate back on the router. Now you can put the router on the edge of your board and turn the router clockwise until both pins touch (the cut is now centered) and make your mortise. You can clamp (same size) boards on each side to have a wider base to cut on.

Also for an end mortise, add boards on each side (in line) the same size of your board, then clamp with two more boards the same size.

If you want your mortise off center, change the board thickness on one side. Joe

I'm going to have to get off that coffee
laughing.gif

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Popular Mechanics had an article many years ago about building a jig on this same principle to use on a DP. Theirs was just a straight board with 2 pins about 16" apart & the drill was centered between the pins. I wonder if it could be adapted for a mortising chisel setup? Besides, where's the challenge in picking up the credit card when you can make your own jigs? It keeps the creative juices flowing! :eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Joe, that is a great tip. I thought it would be better placed in the Tips & Tricks forum, so folks can find it again in the future.
Dave:)

air force 1

New User
Joe
Hey Steven,
That's exacly what I come up with,some one beat me to the coffee pot, thanks for letting me know. Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS