Seeking Recommendations for Shop Size/Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have been fortunate on Wall Street and raised enough cash over the past few months to purchase a building and move out of the garage (shared with Wife's car).

I do not have time to construct a building myself and had good luck a few years back with Dutch Barns from Greensboro.

In my price range, I can build a 14' x 20', 12' x 24' or 16' x 20' I find the various articles in magazines to be specific to ones needs as opposed to what is really functional for a general shop.

What shape (square vs rectangle) would work best?

Equipment includes table saw, 14"band saw (future upgrade to 18"), 17" drill press, 6" jointer, Dewalt Planer, 18-36 drum sander, mini lathe, full size lathe (future), mortiser, dust collector and a couple of work benches. I know this is a lot of equipment and will be a tight fit in any case. Plan to run dust collection overhead, Family member is electrical contractor so adding 60amp service with overhead and floor plugs etc.

Open to any suggestions on size and/or layout.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
With those dimensions, rectangular will be better. To rip an 8ft board, you need roughly 18ft of space...8ft in front of the table saw, 8ft behind the table saw, and 2ft for the table saw itself. Then add a little so you don't hit the wall. So 20ft. would be sufficient. After that, the bigger the better, so that would be 16x20. I think you can fit all your equipment in 320sq.ft., but it's pushing it. Definitely put everything on casters, and look for separate lumber storage.

Congrats on getting a new shop!

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
If it were me, I'd go for the 16x20. Set the TS dead center, and use an assembly table with a short "wing" for the out feed. Set the other equipment smartly to allow for projects to start at one end and work towards the other end.

My current shop is a little bigger at 16x32, but I think I would be happy in a 16x20. That said bigger is better. But the 16' width allows you to set up Jointer, Planer, Bandsaw in a row, then TS, then assembly table. I don't have a drawing of my current setup, but imagine...

CORNER - WALL - LUMBER STORAGE - WALL - SHEET STOCK - CORNER
6' space between above wall/storage and tools below
WALL - 4' - JOINTER - 4' - BANDSAW - 4'- PLANER -2'- DC - WALL
3'-4' space with work bench centered in 16' span
3' space between bench and TS
2' outfeed (to allow walking space when needed between TS and assembly table)
4'x8' assembly table offset to "big-side" of TS
Open space to opposite wall.

Clear as MUD, I know, so I'll restate... BIGGER is BETTER!

If you want I could probably throw together a drawing in the amount of time it took me to type everything above.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I just added up the linear feet in my above post, and is 21' from the first wall to the end of the assembly table. I still think I could be happy in a 16x20, just a little compressed!

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
My shop is 16x24 and although I don't have lathes I have all the other equip plus a router table and an SMCS. It works functionally for me but I break down sheet goods with a circ saw and store my lumber in the garage. The key to it all is mobility. Also, using Bas's ideas try and think how often you are going to need to cut an eight foot board and plan accordingly. Another suggestion would be to add a porch or deck that you can wheel tools onto when you need more space. I think that will be my next add on.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I find that it doesn't matter how big you make it, it is never big enough. With that said, my recommendations are in line with Bas' rectangular and enough space front and back to rip 8 ft lengt boards, so 20 ft minimum. I would also highly recommend 9 or 10 ft ceilings.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Thanks for the advise. Sounds like the 16' x 20' is the winner also price is within my budget even with an upgraded floor (12" centers, 3/4 plywood floor) to support the weight.

As a fellow tool collector, I realized I have other items as well. Forgot about Scroll Saw, Sliding compound miter saw, grinder for sharpening. I guess the space will be even more cramped. I hope to store my lumber in the top 1-2 feet near the ceiling. I have some very nice slat wall shelving I purchased from AB store fixtures that works well for storing lumber. I also have several baskets and hooks to store drills sanders, saw blades etc. These work well and are inexpensive due to the recession and many stores closing.

I have everything on mibile bases against the walls of my garage. It functions as a garage most of the time and I spend most of my time moving equipment and cleaning. A separate shop from my wifes garage will be excellent. If I get my tools out og the garage, may even move up and get to park inside (it would be nice not to have to scrape the windshield next winter).

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Put some tools on wheels

and you can then move them out when you actually use them. Although I use my bandsaw, tablesaw, drill press and work bench everyday, I don't always use the rest all of the time. Actually, I have everything on wheels and I can move the easily around as needed.

In your case, I would also plan for a sound proofed corner, or extension on the end, for a dust collector.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I'm restricted to a 15' x 20' barn with a 7' ceiling. My first thoughts are to make sure you have plenty of ceiling height - which I don't. 9' would be nice. It's amazing how many boards have hit the rafters while moving them around.

Also, I have to step up to get in the barn so outside the door I built a stoop about 5' x 7'. It's large enough to accomodate my table saw on casters so I can cut (small stuff anyway) outside which keeps sawdust out of the shop. Or If I need more room I set the saw in the driveway. If you have the space (and flat ground) you might consider allowing for a space just outside your door so you can roll tools outside if space really gets restricted.

Glennbear

Glenn
I echo what others have said about allowing for the machining of 8' stock and using mobile bases. I would reconsider 60 amp service however, if you have the ampacity in your main panel I would recommend 100 amp service since that would allow you to add a window AC unit and a wall mounted 220V heater and still have enough juice left to run a larger machine, lights and a DC unit at the same time. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS