Status
Not open for further replies.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
I will now wow you guys by telling you everything I know about scrollsawing:

1. Ummmm, yeah! They make those!
2. ......

But seriously, I was able to get my hands on an older model craftsman for real cheap. I say older model, but am not sure how old. My 8 yo daughter has expressed an interest in coming out to the shop and doing some woodworking and I would really love to let her. However, I am not ready to let her start on my unisaw or jointer, obviously! Does anyone know of any materials out there that will help me to teach her some things about scrollsawing (or is it scrolling?). Or am I crazy for exposing her to power tools at that age? I just think she will get a kick out of it.

cskipper

Cathy
It''s great that she wants to be involved. And a scroll saw is probably the safest power tool in your shop. But you an get hurt - even if you've thought through a process and planned for the risks. Can your daughter learn that? Stay focused enough to be safe? I'm sorry, I just don't know what to suggest.

M

McRabbet

Check your local big bookstore like Borders, Books-a-Million or Barnes & Noble for books and magazines on scroll sawing. IIRC, there were many titles available on their shelves.

Rob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I remember reading in one of the WW mags about a kid, about that age, that was an accomplished scroller... scrollsawer????

b4man

New User
Barbara
I think putting your daughter at the scroll saw is a great idea. When my daughter was that age she expressed an interest in the shop. I started her with a coping saw and some pine scraps so she got an understanding of what saws do. Then I put a drill in her hands and from there she began scrolling. Today at 25 she's in my shop as much as I am.
The one thing this mother hen did, I never let her operate a machine when I wasn't giving her my undivided attention until I knew she could find and apply the band-aids by herself:lol:
Good luck and know you are creating memories for your daughter that she'll take with her when her own children come along.:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS