Scrolling for Beginners - Workshop

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
For all those bringing saws to the workshop there are a few very simple but important rules you must follow. Failure to do so could turn your saw into a boat anchor.
1. Never pick up your saw by the upper or lower arm. Pick up and carry from the base only.
2. Clamp up a blade in both the top and bottom clamps and apply light to moderate tension.
3. Reread Rule 1and 2.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I currently have three saws in my shop and will be willing to host a session if the date of Berta's workshop does not work for anyone or if someone wants a private lesson. Berta glad to assist in any of your workshops.
And you are always welcome

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I would love to help out at this class! I'm in Burlington about 15 minutes from liberty and would be happy to come out and assist anyone willing to learn.
I can even 3d print several of these scroll saw blade squares to give to the people to attend.
I wouldn't bring my scroll saw but would be happy to help out and further the scroll sawing hobby!
You are always welcome.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The saw count so far is
One from the trailer
One I am bringing
One from Ann Holway
One from NCJim
One from bowman

I will be bringing a saw clamp parts kit and replacing the parts in the saw on the trailer so everyone will learn how to do that. I will also clean the table top.

I also will bring my copy of the new Scroll Saw Workbook. I always recommend people buy that if the want to pursue this hobby.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The saw count so far is
One from the trailer
One I am bringing
One from Ann Holway
One from NCJim
One from bowman

I will be bringing a saw clamp parts kit and replacing the parts in the saw on the trailer so everyone will learn how to do that. I will also clean the table top.

I also will bring my copy of the new Scroll Saw Workbook. I always recommend people buy that if the want to pursue this hobby.
Berta, is it this one:Amazon.com

I bet Klingspor has copies?

Artisan Pirate

Artisan Pirate
Corporate Member
I will be going to the Klingspor Store in Cary on August 4th, is their anything I need to have my eyes open for?

Artisan Pirate

Artisan Pirate
Corporate Member
I have 3D printed Scroll Saw Squares to give out to people who come to the class, these small jigs ensure that your scroll saw is at a perfect 90 degrees which is important for stack cutting or cutting thicker stock

Attachments

• 363864218_988252055629346_4832588517156387087_n.jpg
    363864218_988252055629346_4832588517156387087_n.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 55

NCJim

Jim
User
One of NCWW’s scroll saw masters, Berta, has offered to hold two workshops for scrollers. The first workshop will be for beginners and will be held August 19, 2023 at my shop in Liberty, NC. This workshop will be limited to the first six people to sign up in this thread. If more than six are interested we will keep a “wait list” in case there are cancellations later.

The second workshop will be for intermediate scrollers and will be held later this year.

Who should attend? For the beginners workshop, anyone who is just getting started in scrolling and wants to learn a few more of the basics.

What to bring? A scroll saw and a modest selection of blades. Berta will provide some materials to practice on, and there may be a small fee for those materials.

Duration? The workshop will begin at 10:00 am and last approximately 4-6 hours.

Cost? There is no fee for this workshop. However, a $30 donation to NCWW is strongly encouraged and greatly appreciated. As mentioned above, there may be a small fee for materials, depending on what Berta provides.

What will be covered? Basics, such as saw set up and blade selection. Berta will demonstrate techniques and participants will work on several projects (e.g. a puzzle, phone stand, tablet stand, ornament, etc.).
I will have to drop out of today's class. Something important came up. I already paid for the class and I would like the club to keep the donation. I hope you have somebody else to take my spot. I am sure it will be a great class and my loss.
Jim Barnes

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Anne and I thoroughly enjoyed the workshop and are very appreciative of Bill for hosting and Berta for conducting the training. Thanks to AP for the jig.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I am posting some resources for everyone.

ScrollSaw Woodworking & Crafts Magazine. Klingspor’s usually has a copy.
It is a very popular!

For patterns: Steve Good is a good place to start. Scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com
Sign up for the newsletter and you receive a new pattern most days. There is also a search function on his page to find what you’re looking for.

Where I buy most of my flat blades: ArtCraftersOnlie.com. They carry Pegas brand. Signup for his newsletter.

I also will buy blades from Wooden Teddy Bear. They carry Flinging Dutchman brand.

I will buy scrollsaw ready wood in different thicknesses at Klingspor’s.
When I can’t find it I will buy mail order through OCOOCH HARDWOODS.
You can buy quality plywood at The Hardwood Store.

There are pay for patterns sights as well. Shiela Landry. Sue Mey.

NEVER SHARE A PATTERN WITH OTHERS ESPECIALLY ONE YOU PAID FOR!
Our designers deserve to earn a living as well!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS