Scrolling for Beginners - Workshop

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
One of NCWW’s scroll saw masters, Berta, has offered to hold two workshops for scrollers. The first workshop will be for beginners and will be held August 19, 2023 at my shop in Liberty, NC. This workshop will be limited to the first six people to sign up in this thread. If more than six are interested we will keep a “wait list” in case there are cancellations later.

The second workshop will be for intermediate scrollers and will be held later this year.

Who should attend? For the beginners workshop, anyone who is just getting started in scrolling and wants to learn a few more of the basics.

What to bring? A scroll saw and a modest selection of blades. Berta will provide some materials to practice on, and there may be a small fee for those materials.

Duration? The workshop will begin at 10:00 am and last approximately 4-6 hours.

Cost? There is no fee for this workshop. However, a $30 donation to NCWW is strongly encouraged and greatly appreciated. As mentioned above, there may be a small fee for materials, depending on what Berta provides.

What will be covered? Basics, such as saw set up and blade selection. Berta will demonstrate techniques and participants will work on several projects (e.g. a puzzle, phone stand, tablet stand, ornament, etc.).

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
This has been added to the calendar. What about lunch? My wife has been wanting to learn, so sign us up please

Artisan Pirate

Artisan Pirate
Corporate Member
One of NCWW’s scroll saw masters, Berta, has offered to hold two workshops for scrollers. The first workshop will be for beginners and will be held August 19, 2023 at my shop in Liberty, NC. This workshop will be limited to the first six people to sign up in this thread. If more than six are interested we will keep a “wait list” in case there are cancellations later.

The second workshop will be for intermediate scrollers and will be held later this year.

Who should attend? For the beginners workshop, anyone who is just getting started in scrolling and wants to learn a few more of the basics.

What to bring? A scroll saw and a modest selection of blades. Berta will provide some materials to practice on, and there may be a small fee for those materials.

Duration? The workshop will begin at 10:00 am and last approximately 4-6 hours.

Cost? There is no fee for this workshop. However, a $30 donation to NCWW is strongly encouraged and greatly appreciated. As mentioned above, there may be a small fee for materials, depending on what Berta provides.

What will be covered? Basics, such as saw set up and blade selection. Berta will demonstrate techniques and participants will work on several projects (e.g. a puzzle, phone stand, tablet stand, ornament, etc.).
This is amazing, I know Berta will knock it out of the park as she is a fantastic scroller. As you all know, I am always happy to teach scrolling to anyone who wants to learn

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am signing up for my wife, Anne Holway user name AC Holway.
I am going to attend as well, but only observe, as we only have one scroll saw.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This has been added to the calendar. What about lunch? My wife has been wanting to learn, so sign us up please
Neal, I've added you and your wife. We always bring in pizza for lunch unless you don't want pizza and prefer to bring something else.
I am signing up for my wife, Anne Holway user name AC Holway.
I am going to attend as well, but only observe, as we only have one scroll saw.
Matt, I've added you and Anne.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I currently have three saws in my shop and will be willing to host a session if the date of Berta's workshop does not work for anyone or if someone wants a private lesson. Berta glad to assist in any of your workshops.

Artisan Pirate

Artisan Pirate
Corporate Member
I would love to help out at this class! I'm in Burlington about 15 minutes from liberty and would be happy to come out and assist anyone willing to learn.
I can even 3d print several of these scroll saw blade squares to give to the people to attend.
I wouldn't bring my scroll saw but would be happy to help out and further the scroll sawing hobby!

Attachments

• IMG_20230626_090102608_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230626_090102608_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
BUMP ! We still have two openings available for this scroll saw workshop if anyone else is interested. Let us know.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just seen the post for the scrolling class today. Any openings? I'm interested.
Jim, there is one opening left and it is yours. Glad to have you. I'll be sending out directions and last minute info a few days before the workshop on 8/19. Quick question: do you have a scroll saw you can bring?

NCJim

Jim
User
I do, I just purchased a Wen LL2156 21 Inch thats the new saw that take pinless blades. I do not have a stand I work off a work bench that I have in my shop but it is attached. Should I look for for a bench to bring? Maybe something more portable?
Save the opening for me.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I do, I just purchased a Wen LL2156 21 Inch thats the new saw that take pinless blades. I do not have a stand I work off a work bench that I have in my shop but it is attached. Should I look for for a bench to bring? Maybe something more portable?
Save the opening for me.
I have a saw that I bring. It is mounted to a piece of 1/2” plywood with a 2X4 cleat in the back that I can clamp in a workbench. Bill has a few workbenches in his shop. Please bring your saw. I am hoping EVERYONE brings their saws if possible. I have a limited number of saws available. (and I REALLY want to check out the Wen).

NCJim

Jim
User
I have a saw that I bring. It is mounted to a piece of 1/2” plywood with a 2X4 cleat in the back that I can clamp in a workbench. Bill has a few workbenches in his shop. Please bring your saw. I am hoping EVERYONE brings their saws if possible. I have a limited number of saws available. (and I REALLY want to check out the Wen).
Thank you
Jim

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As Berta said, there are plenty of work surfaces in my shop and plenty of outlets. No need for anyone to bring a bench.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS