scrolled sword

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I have been working on this off and on for 3 weeks in between other projects. The pattern is from the Berry Basket
Some time ago Andy gave me a box of goodies which included a couple of hand planers . I've never used one before but decided to try it when shaping the blade . The entire blade and handle core started out at 3/4" . I roughed it out with the planer and then hand-sanded the rest. I used a scroll saw to initially cut out all components . All other finish shaping and rounding over was done with sandpaper only .

sword1.jpg

blade and handle core is one piece of walnut , hilt is walnut and cedar crafted separately and slid up the blade, handle is cedar overlay and pommel is maple with cedar overlay. Overall length is about 30"

sword2.jpg

sword3.jpg

sword4.jpg

It's rightful place on Fred's excellently crafted mantle :icon_thum

sword5.jpg

This is the most time I have ever taken with a single project and I owe it all to the wonderful folks on this site who are teaching me patience with the process :eek:ccasion1

Using a hand planer was extremely satisfying ( and at times frustrating :BangHead: ) and I am grateful to Andy for the hook-up :icon_thum I foresee using them more and learning more about them

Thanx for lookin' :mrgreen:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Robert, Awesome work as usual. Can you box up some of that patience and ship it to me. That is my biggest downfall in this hobby is getting in a hurry to see the finished project.

Threejs

New User
David
Couldn't have that in my house. The kids already beat on each other with wooden swords. They broke enough on them on trees, and each other, that I switched them to foam. (Wooden ones were my wifes ideas. Foam was mine.)

Course with foam swords you don't see a 13 year old, running (for his life) from a 3 year old with no concept of the damage he can do with that sword. But the 3 year old is all the while swing the sword as hard as he can.

Man I love having all boys. :D

J

jeff...

Nice woodworking duster I really like the walnut blade the way you shaped it is very authentic.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Beautiful work, Bro. :icon_thum Patience is definitely one of your virtues. You're a talented dude. I can only hope to attain that level somewhere down the road.

:notworthy:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great job on the sword, Robert! You are very gifted.
Would it be ok if I come over and just hang out with you? Maybe some of that talent will rub off on me:no::nah:.

Rod

New User
Rod
Robert,
Incredible man! You really have a gift there. BTW...I love the mantle as well. We checked it out as soon as we got home from Raleigh.
Keep on scrollin'. We'll look forward to seeing more.
Rod

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
Nice piece. Glad you posted it, your wife told me about it on Sat. glad I got to see what see was talking about

Rita

Hook

New User
Gregory
That is absolutely awesome! I have the same plans from the same place and that WAS on my "to do" list along with the shield (I want to so a family shield type thing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS