Screws for General Purpose

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I have been using drywall screws and deck screws for general purpose projects mostly non-hardwood applications). I’ve seen some new types of screws and wondered if they were worth the premium price. What’s everyone else using?

While doing a little research, I found this video and web page I thought was interesting.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Never was a big fan of drywall screws. In hard wood they have a tendency to break. But they are the cheapest. Course thread in soft wood.

Mostly used Spax. Seems my HD doesn’t carry anymore.

Used to use only McFeeley square drive. Still my favorite b/c the screw sticks on the bit, sometimes too well.

GRK good screws, but I notice the head is thicker. Not as good a selection.

All screws are expensive!

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
3rd on the McFeeleys square (Robertson) drive for general purpose. I keep a full array of #8’s on hand. Spax for cabinets/ structural.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I like GRK since I can get them locally and they work well. I’ve used hidden GRK fasteners in some hardwood projects (oak and hickory) without splitting. I like that you also don’t have to have the bit completely in the fastener and can be slightly tilted when driving them in.

I wanted to like spax but they readily cam out for me. The square/Robertson bits seemed to help in this aspect though.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
I like GRK since I can get them locally and they work well.
My local Home Depot carries a fair variety of GRK screws and Amazon carries a larger selection. Between these two sources, I keep stocked up on the GRK screws I'm likely to use. I tried to like the Spax screws, but they have thicker shanks and, as Zach says, have had a tendency to cam out on me. I like the Torx (or Star) heads used on the GRK -- very reliable, and transfer energy well. Also, I've never had a GRK screw break on me; the #8 screws are slender but very tough.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I remember when Textron's Twinfast screws were all the rage. They had a double helix rather than a single. I still have some and I still prefer them for a few applications. They drove quickly and that was back in the day when corded screwguns ran at 2500 rpm.
Like others, modern driven screws with a square Robertson head are my favorite because of the better bite on the driver.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Another hour for Spax, just need a good source for them. Like the way they are designed. I've mostly bought by the project but need to get some large quantities so I don't have to hunt for some. Interested in hearing from others.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think Klingspor is still buying PanAm screws, if you can use the shank-slotted style screw (think Kreg pocket hole screws. I really like them for general purpose stuff. For any "real" furniture, I have some screws from the late '70's or early 80's that are of sufficient quality...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Another fan of McFeely's. They once donated a screw assortment to the raffle, that was a good investment. Probably bought 20x that since then :) I think I managed to break exactly one screw in all those years, and that was with an impact driver, a 2" #6 screw, some very hard oak, and only a 1/2" deep pilot hole.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Another fan of Spax, was having a lot of trouble with general wood screws at the big box stores having the heads break off, never have this issue with Spax.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
For carcass work I typically use flat head screws meant for metal. Strong, cheap, easy to find, bright zinc finish and indistinguishable from a traditional wood screw once in the wood.

They do require a pilot hole and countersink tho.

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors