Scissor arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I don't really need one, more one of those "maybe when I have some time" projects. I'm looking for a simple scissor arm. Something that can support maybe 2lb, and can be extended 2ft or more.

Something like this, but simpler, not as heavy, and preferably cheaper :)

I did a few searches on Google, but unfortunately there is a very popular video of a guy who gets a pair of scissors stuck in his arm. Between that and Adjustable Rate Mortgages, I didn't get very far.

Any ideas where to look?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would think that you could pretty simple make something like that yourself. Strips of thin stock all cut to the same length. Find the center point on each and drill and insert a nut and bolt. Then bring the ends together and bolt them also. By adjusting the tightness of the bolts, and the number of strips (length also) you could tweak the weight capacity and extension length.
Dave:)

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Just what I was thinkin' Dave, but maybe out of aluminum 1/4" flat bar instead. Of course wood might look better, and be a bit easier to work, and a little less cost...

AND A REASON TO BUY MORE TOOLS!!!!!!!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Dave, Jerry, thanks for the vote of confidence on making it myself :) I had sort of hoped to tackle metalworking _next_ decade. Although I could do it in wood of course. And for making thin strips, I'd sorta have to get a drum sander....

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You know, that's not a bad idea, since I need a long arm. I had planned to make the first portion fixed, and only the final few feet movable, but this might work better. I think I'll have to make a trip to Ace sometime this week, how awful! :)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, Jerry, thanks for the vote of confidence on making it myself :) I had sort of hoped to tackle metalworking _next_ decade. Although I could do it in wood of course. And for making thin strips, I'd sorta have to get a drum sander....

You are more than welcome to borrow my drum sander. If we could find 31/128" bolts you'd be in business:-D. I think that is is a lot easier than it looks. All the holes could be drilled at the same time and then the stock sliced and sanded. That would eliminate most alignment errors, and greatly speed up the process. For your weight needs any good solid hardwood would work great, and wood is just better.
Dave:)

welldigger

New User
Scott
for longer reach/heavier loads you could mount a shower rod above it with some rings on it and small cables down to the arm. Of course it wouldn't swivel, but it would be retractable.

J

jeff...

Why you wanna use steel? when I could sell you all the wood you need and then some. :lol:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You are more than welcome to borrow my drum sander.
Thanks for the offer Dave. Of course, you do realize that you've just eliminated a tool justification :)

If we could find 31/128" bolts you'd be in business:-D.
:rolf::rolf:

Yup, almost any kind of hardwood should be suitable. I'm sure it's a pretty feasible project....but time wise, it will NEVER get done. Well, not within the next few years anyway. I was hoping for a $19.95 kit :)

Jeff - I wasn't thinking steel, if I was going metal it would have been aluminum, like Jerry suggested. Wood would have been my first pick as well. Especially since I'd have to first try different species -maple, oak, cypress, just to see what works best :) With plenty of leftovers of course. For an entertainment center or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS