"Scary Sharp" Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Like many I use the "Scary Sharp" method to sharpen my chisels and plane blades. I produces a very good edge, but I seem to be having a problem that I have not seen addressed in any of the "Scary Sharp" articles.

I am using 1/2-inch plate glass as my sharpening base. In the articles, you are instructed to soak the wet/dry paper in water, and the paper will adhere to the glass. Well, mine doesn't adhere well. I have cleaned the glass multiple times, I have allowed the paper to soak for various amounts, etc., but mine just will not stick as well as the instructions imply that it will.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone find a soluton?

I am going to try putting a couple of drops of liquid soap into the water to see if breaking the surface tension of the water will allow the water to soak into the paper better, but still not cause the paper to slip on the glass.

Any thoughts?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I just spray the back of the paper w/ 3M spray adhesive.

Just be careful to not build up a "hump" of glue under the paper.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I also use the 'light tack' 3M spray adhesive. I think it is #66 but don't quote me on that.

George

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I don't soak the paper...I use the 3M spray adhesive also and use the paper dry...as long as you go slow to keep the blade from building up too much heat from the friction, you will have no problems. If you spray the back of the paper and let it dry a little before you adhere it to the glass, it will come off a little easier when it's time to change the paper.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I also spray. I use a fake marble tile instead of the glass and it sticks very well.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I use adhesive spray as well. I don't use any kind of lubricant, just dry paper. Get a brush with stiff bristles to clean the sandpaper, to prevent it from clogging up.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had a few aluminum plates about 10 x 12 laying around, so I use them instead of glass. I have different grades of wet/dry paper adhered on each side so I can switch without having to peel up the paper. You could also use plexiglass or hardboard. As long as you lay it on a smooth flat surface just about any substrate will work.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a Windex bottle full of water. I just give the plate a squirt and lay the paper on it, and then a squirt on the top when I hone. After I am done, i rinse the paper off in the utility sink and let it dry flat (sometimes under a piece of scrap 1/4 ply) and then store for the next use. I have also used a little dish detergent in the water, but don't see a real difference.

Go

rick7938

New User
Rick
Travis,

I'm using the 3M automovie wet/dry in the grits from 400 - 2000. I've used the spray adhesive method, but it was a real pain to me having to scrap off the residue after using it. I am going to try "breaking" the paper over a sharp edge and soaking a little longer to see if it will stick. If that doesn't work, I can go back to the spray.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If your glass is <1/2" thick, why not try 2 spring type paper clips like they use to hold 50-100 sheets of paper?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I wonder if using granite for your reference surface would give you better adhesion to the top than plate glass? I personally used lexan and spray adhesive for quite a while and the paper didn't move very much but I had to be careful that the surface was truly FLAT. The adhesive can bunch up and cause problems.

I finally broke down and bought a few Norton water stones when a good deal came up last year. There's no comparison to paper really. My chisels are pretty sharp now. Stones have helped me achieve very sharp surfaces with minimal effort. The stone doesn't move, the stone is flat, the results are repeatable, no paper to create waves. My chisels are truly sharp(er) now.

I can't remember if mine came from Holbren or maybe Hartville Tools???

I still use paper to flatten the stones. :icon_thum

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors