sandpaper gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
A generous woodworking friend told me he had some sanding belts that "still had some life in them", no size was mentioned. Frugal guy that I am I accepted his offer and went to pick them up. When I got home I discovered they might be a little big for my machines :no: :eek:

These belts of various grits are on waterproof cloth backing so a scrub brush and some citrus cleaner will remove the gunk and yield me enough paper for a while. Some cutting and pasting/taping will give me the sizes I need :gar-Bi Unlike Travis I am not in the market for a machine that will accept them as is :rotflm:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Glenn: Just get you a 2 lb. box of alum, mix with cold water, and measure them after every dip!!

:gar-La;:rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You know, if you carpet the street with that sheet, you can do the Earl trick and just drag the work piece behind the truck.....

Nice score Glenn.

T

toolferone

Glenn, great picture. It sure puts things in perspective!

Are you talking about making your own sanding belts? I think you will have a hard time keeping the belts together. I have heard of many folks trying to make belts and it not working. The machine and materials the factory use are very different then we can get. Now if you know something I don't about this I am all ears and bow to you.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That reminds me of the wood worker near Atlanta who used to buy all his sandpaper at the salvage yard. He said it was the only place that sold sandpaper in 8x10 sheets.

Yep, 8x10 feet!

Glennbear

Glenn
Glenn, great picture. It sure puts things in perspective!

Are you talking about making your own sanding belts? I think you will have a hard time keeping the belts together. I have heard of many folks trying to make belts and it not working. The machine and materials the factory use are very different then we can get. Now if you know something I don't about this I am all ears and bow to you.

Your skepticism is 100% justified Tom, decades ago when I was building my race car I spliced broken belts using filament reinforced tape with limited success.:nah: I now have access to some better adhesive products including some tape from my SIL that he uses in Nuclear Submarine building. They use this stuff like the rest of us use duct tape. Being made to DOD specs it has properties not seen at the local BORG. They use it all over with the exception of the pressure hull. If nothing else, I will be making cutting jigs to make sizes for ROS, DA, and sanding blocks. Whatever the outcome, I think I can figure on the sandpaper purchase account being low on the budget priority list :gar-La; I will definitely keep y'all up to date with my efforts :wsmile:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Quite a haul you got there, Glenn. I hope for updates on your endeavor. Any time someone figures out how to do something cheaper with good results, I wanna know how!

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hay Glenn, I noticed your sander has a hole on the base where you can mount it to the bench, well all you need to do is cut your sander in half and mount it on a board spaced apart enough so the sandpaper will fit :) just don't press down too hard in the middle. Aloha

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors