rustic shave horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Not sure I am really finished. I split a little white cedar log and the piece I used was about 1/3 of it. I haven't leveled it because the split had just enough twist that I would go thinner than I would like. However, for the look I am after - a rustic shave horse with character - it really isn't a problem. And it isn't enough to notice while sitting. But if I level another split from the log better or better yet come across a small red cedar log, I will likely replace it.

Legs (of which there are 3) are black locust. The frame of the clamp is hickory. The little "plank" is poplar, the "pin" that holds it to the horse is mulberry and the chunk of wood that props it up off the horse is sweetgum, so there is a bit of variety. There is also some sleight of hand; a 3/8" threaded rod is what the clamp pivots on and there are threaded inserts inside the little limb pieces. I will use it for shaping blanks and handles (another gloat coming soon, when I make a handle for a new to me old hatchet) and an eventual plan is to use it at craft fairs when I am selling woodwinds and/or carvings.

newhorse1.jpg

newhorse2.jpg

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Already pressed it into service...
hatchet.jpg

came out narrower than the old one but the forward part of the old handle (and the hatchet head cavity) is very thin coming almost to a point. I didn't like the feel of it (and it was cracked and rotted) so I made a rounder oval. Sharpened up nice and works really well for shaping spindle blanks. I am tempted to shorten the handle so no one gets confused about the purpose of the hatchet.

EDIT - handle is clear hickory dead on the grain (zero run out).

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is a proper hatchet as opposed to a hand ax. A hatchet has a hammer head instead of a poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors