Router tenon jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, I finished the router tenon jig from shopnotes tonight. I was pretty disappointed with the plans. They were missing and had incorrect measurements which was a pain. Fortunately, I didn't have to remake anything before I realized it.

The hold down jig was another pain. The shopnotes said to put your wood in your steel tube, drill it out and then put a brass insert in, NOT. I tried and realized I could not do it and just tapped the steel tube and wood instead.

I did get all the specialty knobs and parts from Reid Tool and don't regret it. They sent me a catalog as well and they have some very neat metal fittings and other stuff.

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• tenon jig.JPG
    tenon jig.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 335
  • tenon jig2.JPG
    tenon jig2.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 313

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that looks just like the picture on the cover of the magazine. How well does it work?
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Excellent job Travis. That came out really nice. Are tenons the only thing you can use it for or can you use it as a coping sled also?

D L

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Looks like it will be a handy jig! What's the base made of? I missed out on ShopNotes.:-(

Thanks
Dave

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The base is made of phenolic covered baltic birch. It slides nice, but I don't think it was worth the extra cost compared to regular baltic birch.

DL, yes, it definitively does copes which is the primary reason I wanted it as I do a fair amount of cope and stick doors with my router.

Dave, I will say it works extremely well and is extremely accurate. Being able to set a stop block and have a perfect backer block every time is nothing less than sweet. I will say, I would still do a few things differently. Largest board it will do is about 7/8" thickness. OK, but not quite enough IMO.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Travis Porter said:
Well, I finished the router tenon jig from shopnotes tonight. I was pretty disappointed with the plans. They were missing and had incorrect measurements which was a pain. Fortunately, I didn't have to remake anything before I realized it.

The hold down jig was another pain. The shopnotes said to put your wood in your steel tube, drill it out and then put a brass insert in, NOT. I tried and realized I could not do it and just tapped the steel tube and wood instead.

I did get all the specialty knobs and parts from Reid Tool and don't regret it. They sent me a catalog as well and they have some very neat metal fittings and other stuff.

Travis, it's obvious you're unhappy with the jig. Now that you've made one I'm sure you could improve on the next revision.

Why don't you send it to me as an incentive to build another. I'll even pay shipping!! :lol: :lol:

Looks pretty cool to me. I probably wouldn't know what to do with that kind of precision. Still, it'd be neat to find out I guess. Great job. :icon_thum

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am not disappointed with the jig. I am disappointed with the plans and methodology. Putting a brass threaded insert through still does not work. Measurements were missing and wrong which made me have to recut and guess.

I like the jig and would recommend it to anyone doing cope and stick joints with the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors