Router table help

RevDad

New User
Stephen
I’m building a router table and I’m debating whether or not to use a leftover slab of maple butcher block for the top or go with laminated MDF. Any advise would be appreciated.

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
A timely topic: I’m looking at an upgrade to my router table as well. What sources does anyone recommend for sheets of phenolic resin?

Thanks!

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I’ll trade you my old top for the maple bb slab. ; )

Attachments

• 0C05877D-E50E-4F86-972A-833EA0EE9DB7.jpeg
    0C05877D-E50E-4F86-972A-833EA0EE9DB7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Like you, I just started planning my router table build, but I am going cast iron top. I am not sure if that helps, but here are the measurements for the top I purchased:

31-1/2" x 23-1/4"x 1-3/4"
I have seen some cast iron tops around the 1-1/2" thickness mark. If you are going MDF\Phenolic, don't forget to add some thickness for the tracks, if you add those. At a minimum, I'd say 1" thick table, but that's just my opinion.

Take a look at the INCRA site for their measurements: INCRA Router Tables
Their table tops are made out of "1-1/4" MDF substrate with a high pressure horizontal grade phenolic laminate top and bottom."

Hope this helps.

RevDad

New User
Stephen
Has anyone used phenolic ply for a router table top? I’d probably glue it on top of 3/4” MDF.

Attachments

• EB24DBB5-67BD-4BC5-85E7-5678B6D1F12D.jpeg
    EB24DBB5-67BD-4BC5-85E7-5678B6D1F12D.jpeg
    806.5 KB · Views: 55

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I built a Router Table many years ago. It's still flat! I used two sheets of 3/4" MDF face glued together then laminate on BOTH top and bottom to keep it flat. I also added edge banding to clean it up. Your idea of phenolic ply on top of the 3/4" MDF sounds like a good one to me.

RevDad

New User
Stephen
I built a Router Table many years ago. It's still flat! I used two sheets of 3/4" MDF face glued together then laminate on BOTH top and bottom to keep it flat. I also added edge banding to clean it up. Your idea of phenolic ply on top of the 3/4" MDF sounds like a good one to me.
What you described (HPL and MDF) makes a great top. I will likely do that, since using the scrap butcher block doesn’t seem to be getting any recommendations. And I can’t find any local suppliers of phenolic plywood or sheets.

I’m new to this forum and it’s really amazing to be able to get input from other woodworkers from across the state.

RevDad

New User
Stephen
Like you, I just started planning my router table build, but I am going cast iron top. I am not sure if that helps, but here are the measurements for the top I purchased:

31-1/2" x 23-1/4"x 1-3/4"
I have seen some cast iron tops around the 1-1/2" thickness mark. If you are going MDF\Phenolic, don't forget to add some thickness for the tracks, if you add those. At a minimum, I'd say 1" thick table, but that's just my opinion.

Take a look at the INCRA site for their measurements: INCRA Router Tables
Their table tops are made out of "1-1/4" MDF substrate with a high pressure horizontal grade phenolic laminate top and bottom."

Hope this helps.
I checked out the incra table tops. They look like a top tier ready-made option. Thank you for your tips and recommendations!

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
I've had my tabletop made using 3/4 mdf and formica (both sides) for about 15 years. Still flat and smooth. Used phenolic for the router insert. Been very happy with it.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I used a sink cutout backed by 3/4 plywood for the top of my router table. At the time, I bought the cutout for almost nothing at a big box store. I have not seen them since. The cutout is high density particle board with laminate tightly attached. Nice material if you can find it but it is not huge. Big enough for me. I wrapped it in maple, just for appearance.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I’m in north western Winston-Salem.
If you are up for a ride I have some phenolic pieces. Not sure what size they are but I would part with 1 fairly cheap. If interested let me know and I'll get some measurements and a price. I'll pm the info if you respond to this thread.

RevDad

New User
Stephen
If you are up for a ride I have some phenolic pieces. Not sure what size they are but I would part with 1 fairly cheap. If interested let me know and I'll get some measurements and a price. I'll pm the info if you respond to this thread.
I need about 24”x32”. Where are you located? I may be up for a trip depending on distance and ‘the deal’. Lol. Thanks!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors