Roughing out question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterO

New User
Peter
I visited a woodturning artist in Asheville yesterday and he told me that he does not always use a roughing-out gouge when he roughs and trues his work. He uses a bowl gouge sometimes, particularly on smaller/narrower pieces.

I have read and been told by an instructor that one ONLY uses a roughing gouge when roughing and truing.

Any guidance on this?

Newbie means Newbie :)

Thanks -

Peter

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Roughing out and truing what?

A spindle roughing gouge is to be used for turning stock round when it is between centers and the grain of the wood is running parallel with the bed of the lathe. A spindle roughing gouge should not be used to rough out bowl blanks as the cross section of the tool cannot withstand the shock and can easily snap off and do severe damage to you and your machine.

I repeat, NEVER USE A SPINDLE ROUGHING GOUGE on bowls. Danger, danger, danger!!!

A bowl gouge is the preferred tool for roughing out bowl blanks which are turned in the faceplate orientation. Wood in the faceplate orientation has the grain running perpendicular to the bed of the lathe. On each rotation you are confronted with end grain twice and face grain twice. The thicker cross section of the bowl gouge was designed for this type of work.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
i'm not a pro but i think your instuctor was meaning to only use a roughing gouge when roughing out.

not that a roughing gouge is the only tool to use for roughing out

hmmmm did that make sence.....how about a roughing gouge is only good for roughing out....

i hope i helped :oops:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
So, what is the answer?:

a. "Only the roughing gouge is used for roughing out"
or
b. "The roughing gouge is only used for roughing out"

Boy, a misplaced modifier can sure make it rough to understand.:eusa_thin

Go

PeterO

New User
Peter
Guess I wasn't too clear lol.

The question was meant to be " May another type of gouge be used (other than a spindle roughing gouge) for roughing out turning stock between the centers when the grain is running parallel with the bed of the lathe?"

I am not even considering bowl turning at this point.

Thanks -

Pete

Monty

New User
Monty
Yes, you can use most bowl gouges for that... although I'm not really sure what the advantage would be for spindle turning. A spindle roughing gouge, when used properly, makes very quick work out of getting a piece of wood from square to round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS