Rough-sawn Cedar or Cypress

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcottrell

New User
Lance
I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get rough-sawn cedar or cypress? I'm in need of some to use as trim on a backyard shed that I'm getting ready to build. I got a price from the local lumberyard on the cedar for 1x6 at $1.46 a linear foot, but I'm hoping that there's a better deal out there. They weren't able to price the cypress for me, but did say it was more costly.

M

McRabbet

Unfortunately Lance, you and I live way too far from Burgaw, NC, where Ivey Pridgen operates his mill and provides lots of our fellow NCwoodworkers with any given amount of great quality cypress. Here is his entry from the NC Sawyers list.

Beaver Branch Portable Sawmill
sawing up to 24 ft. long
Ivey Pridgen
Burgaw,N.C.
(910) 259-4777
(910) 540-0705

I don't know of any sources up this way, but others may chime in.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
How much do you need and what size? I'm closer to you and have a right good amount of Ivey's cypress in several sizes.

lcottrell

New User
Lance
Hey Reggie,

I'm still in the planning process, but will be drawing up my plans very soon and will have a better idea. Would you be able to post a picture of the wood so I can see what it looks like? I've never worked with rough-sawn cypress before.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am not JackLeg, but I have a couple of pieces of cypress and a new camera I am still enjoying playing with...

HPIM0036.jpg

HPIM0037.jpg

I love working that stuff. Machines easy and smells like oatmeal. Mmm... Oatmeal... I think I'll go have some breakfast...

:gar-La;

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Look in my Gallery at the rocking chairs, Adirondacks, swings, glider, and plant stands. You can see how it works up.

Cedar should be relatively easy for you to find up that way. Kyle in Iron Station will have it KD or green, probably.

Let me know if I can help.

:wwink:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
If you haven't gotten your wood yet I have two more local-ish options for you. Both in Buncombe County. One in Swannanoa and one in Asheville.
I really hate to advertise for people and am often hesitant to give open endorsements but I've had good success with both. Drop a pm and I'll be glad to give you the information if you are interested.
Last I was in both places they had very large selections and good amounts of both species, not to mention lots of others.
Can't quote prices - the only list I have from one isn't very current. I can give you a number and contact name for both. May be worth a phone call especially with fuel prices as they are.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS