Rockhard question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Does anyone know if Behlen's Rockhard can be sprayed? If so, how much mineral spirits do you use? Thanks.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
My understanding is that almost any finish can be sprayed. How much MS or thinner is dependant upon your spray gun requirements. A zahn or Ford cup can be used to measure the viscosity and your gun should have some info.

M

McRabbet

I spoke to a rep a few years ago and he recommended it not be sprayed. It is a short oil varnish and will bubble up very easily. Cut it 50:50 with Reducer and apply as a sealer coat with a good (I mean GOOD) bristle brush. Apply thin coat and don't rush. Be very careful not to introduce bubbles by pressing the brush against the edge of the can lip or by pressing it too hard against the surface. Let dry 24 hours in a dust-free environment and sand lightly with 320 grit. Tack off the surface and apply 2-3 finish coats (may be cut up to 10% with refucer to flow more easliy) and sand between coats as above. This is the most durable finish I've ever used -- it is a high gloss finish. If you want to make it into a satin finish, you can rub it out with rottenstone or 1000+ grit paper.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I thought I had heard something similar before. Thanks Rob. By reducer do you mean some proprietary mixture or can I just use MS? Unless someone else chimes in I guess I'll just sand a bit and brush on a new reduced coat as the last coat had a lot of bubbles.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
I thin Rockhard with mineral spirits and pad it on. When I want it satin I use a final coat of minwax satin. Either way it turns out great.

Regards,

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors