Rikon Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I went to Woodcraft today in Matthews to pick up a couple of things and also walked out with this Rikon lathe.

I didn't need it, but I felt that it was a good deal and I have been wanting to get a lathe to piddle with it. I felt I couldn't walkout without for the price. Reg. $429 and it was a manager's special for $299. I can't do big cake platters and bowls, but I am just getting started. What really got me sold on it was that it was variable speed.

Do you guys think I should keep it or take it back? I also need a suggestions for some starter tools for it. I will try my hand at some pens and small bowls, ice cream scoop and the like.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I think I'd take it back...before you end up like me with three of 'em. My son and I keep all three busy with projects...it is a very slippery slope to the dark side of turning...heavy dose of woodguy disease!!!:gar-La;

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Can you suggest a set of starter knives for it. Thanks

The Windsor Design 8-piece set from Harbor Freight are great for starting out. Not too expensive and you get to experiment with sharpening technique without the risk of ruining some very expensive chisels.

8 Piece High Speed Steel Wood Lathe Chisel Set

I have been using a set for about 4 years or so and they are just fine for me.

As you become more proficient with the lathe, you can upgrade the particular chisel that you commonly use in this set with a better branded turning tool.

Wayne

kclark

New User
Kevin
The Windsor Design 8-piece set from Harbor Freight are great for starting out. Not too expensive and you get to experiment with sharpening technique without the risk of ruining some very expensive chisels.

As you become more proficient with the lathe, you can upgrade the particular chisel that you commonly use in this set with a better branded turning tool.

Wayne

Would those work for pen turning as well or need something else?

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris

Wayne

LOML bought me this set for Christmas and I have to say, so far I agree with Wayne. They sharpen well, seem to hold an edge well and are a bargain.

I've not done any pen turning as yet, so I can't say for sure they will work for that, but my hunch is yes - maybe one of the pen turners will chime in.

C.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Would those work for pen turning as well or need something else?

Kevin.

Yes. I use this set to do mostly pens, bottle stoppers, key chains and other small stuff. They work just fine.

I believe that the set is known as "another HF gem"....for the price!:icon_thum

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
I turn a lot of pens, bottle stoppers and some spindles with no more than what is included in this set. looks good for a beginner's set. you'll want to add a bowl gouge soon but that is after getting to know the machine and other skills.

Good luck.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
LOML bought me this set for Christmas and I have to say, so far I agree with Wayne. They sharpen well, seem to hold an edge well and are a bargain.

I've not done any pen turning as yet, so I can't say for sure they will work for that, but my hunch is yes - maybe one of the pen turners will chime in.

C.

To turn pens does not require a lot of chisels. In fact I do mine basically with a roughing gouge and a skew. Yes skew is a 4 letter word. Sure you can use a spindle gouge and a spindle master type tool and a parting tool but they are no required.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Small lathes are always handy. A lot of your turnings are going to be smaller, like pens, pepper mills, handles, ornaments small bowls and so on. Since you can add extensions to that lathe, you can turn table legs and other long things. Large bowls would not be possible, but smaller ones are very nice.

In reference to tools, a parting tool, a gouge and a skew should be enough to get started. IMHO, don't get pen turning tools because the short handles make it harder to control the tool. I would get regular tools, learn on them and if you want shorter handles, turn some to suit.

Roy G

I went to Woodcraft today in Matthews to pick up a couple of things and also walked out with this Rikon lathe.

I didn't need it, but I felt that it was a good deal and I have been wanting to get a lathe to piddle with it. I felt I couldn't walkout without for the price. Reg. $429 and it was a manager's special for $299. I can't do big cake platters and bowls, but I am just getting started. What really got me sold on it was that it was variable speed.

Do you guys think I should keep it or take it back? I also need a suggestions for some starter tools for it. I will try my hand at some pens and small bowls, ice cream scoop and the like.

what was the model number that you got.... The 1216 that woodcraft has listed I do not think is the Rikon number did you get the Rikon 70-050VS ????????????

thanks

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
The skew has certainly elicited plenty of 4 letter words from me in the last 2 weeks!! :rotflm:

Nothing leaves a better surface than a well handled skew but the margin for error is small and the penalty can be hefty. Makes a mess of the blank and gets your heart beating [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] when you get a catch. It's worth the trouble for a lot of spindle work though (IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS