Rikon Band Saw Finds New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawdust Denny

New User
Denny
I would like to start by thanking everyone who provided Dave with feedback on his thread concerning their experiences with the Rikon band saw. I have been looking for a band saw for quite a while and had about decided to go with a Delta. However, after reading your comments and doing some additional research on the Rikon I am happy to say I brought one home today. I will provide an update after I get a chance to set it up and give it a trial run or two.

dave

New User
Dave
Hey... what do you know! Twins!!!

Just brought my baby home a few hours ago. She was about 250lbs and around 72inches. Delivery took about an hour and a half, but I am glad to say that dad and baby are doing great. She's all alone in the garage now.... :eek:

but I know we'll be spending some quality time this weekend learning all about each other. :gar-La;

Sawdust Denny

New User
Denny
Great to hear Dave. You may get a chance to start setting up your saw before I do, will be out out town for the next few days. Let me know how the set-up goes and any pointers you learn.
:help:

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Congrats!:eusa_clap

You both will be very happy!

Cant wait to see the Delivery Room Pics!

And dont forget my motto:

RipOn.JPG

View image in gallery

dave

New User
Dave
We're having some friends over tonight, but I may try to sneak out and get some pics for you guys.... before I get banned or something. :gar-Bi

Denny - I actually got it all set up last night. Fairly easy, but as Ken mentioned you will need help getting it onto the base.

Couple things I noticed.

• Page 9 - you're told to remove the table leveling bar, but it does not mention if it should be put back. I assumed it should though.
  • Page 10 - Installing the Guide Post Cap has no picture, so I had to read it a couple times, but it you look on page 11, figure 11, you can see it there.
  • Extra parts - i had two large washers that were not mentioned in the manual (at least I did not see them used anywhere). They're not even on the parts list.
That's about it. If you have any specific questions, just shoot me a message.

Dave

dave

New User
Dave
OK, did not forget about this. Here's the delivery room pics. :gar-Bi

HP7_2918.jpg

Also, here's a larger shot showing the mess I have right now as I still get more stuff and figure out how to arrange it all.

HP7_2921.jpg

And lastly, here's my little CNC...

HP7_2920.jpg

Sawdust Denny

New User
Denny
Dave, nice looking shop. Was able to get my bandsaw assembled on Saturday just before leave on my trip. Still need to make all the fine adjustments when I get back then see what kind of job it will do making sawdust. :XXcompute

dave

New User
Dave
Good deal! Still tweaking mine and thinking about upgrading the blade. I've read in several places that the blade that comes with the unit is of lower quality.

Thanks, but my shop is really a mess right now. Still have non-woodworking items that I need to find a new home for. And I want something a little more dedicated than the garage. The wife and I are discussing options right now ranging from selling/moving to trying to build a shop in the back. I am in a community with a HOA though, so building may not be an option.

Alternatively, I am thinking of having the work done on the garage and turning it into a more permanent shop. That would be the cheapest option and would allow us to stay in this house for another 5-10 years. Still working out the details, but I would need AC, some electrical work, sound proofing, and converting the garage door to a vertical system to free up the overhead.

Dave

Sawdust Denny

New User
Denny
Dave, just finished my workshop last year. Don't know if this is an option given your situation situation but I purchased as 14' X 36' utility building then wired, insulated and drywalled it myself. The before pictures are shown below, the exterior was already completed. The exterior of my shop is almost a match to the exterior our my house so it doesn't look out of place. Just a thought.

PS: If we decide to move I can disconnect the electrical service and have the shop moved to another location.

dave

New User
Dave
Very, very nice!! I'm jealous...

Found out today that the largest building I can put in the backyard is an 8x10 (HOA's - definitely a love/hate relationship).

So, my best option now is to convert my garage to suit my needs. I've got an AC rep coming out next week to discuss some options and pricing. I also have someone from a garage door company coming by to discuss options for converting the garage door to one that goes straight up (so that I can remove the motor and rails and free up the overhead.

The current issue of Woocraft magazine has a gentleman with a 14x22 shop and it has inspired me. Given what he did in his shop, I feel confident that I have more than enough space for mine.

My garage is 18Wx19Dx12H. I am thinking I will install an elevated floor on one side of the garage, maybe 3ft high and 4 or 5 ft wide. That will give me some storage room underneath and possibly an area to keep my compressor and any other items that I need to run only occassionaly or that I want to enclose to reduce noise.

Need to spend some time in sketchup and work on a few designs. I'm sure I'll be asking for opinions on all this as it moves forward.

Dave

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Very, very nice!! I'm jealous...

(HOA's - definitely a love/hate relationship).

The current issue of Woocraft magazine has a gentleman with a 14x22 shop and it has inspired me. Given what he did in his shop, I feel confident that I have more than enough space for mine.

My garage is 18Wx19Dx12H.
Dave

Dave,

I totally feel you about the HOA.... Anyway, there are some cool shop plans on Plansnow that might give you some good ideas and may even be worth downloading...

http://www.plansnow.com/dn3095.html

http://www.plansnow.com/dn3091.html

Norm did a garage workshop too that has some interesting ideas:
http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0001

Trav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS