Researching wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
I found a pice of wood in my shop that I have no idea where it came from or what species it is. Does anyone know of any websites online that may be able to help? I tried googling wood species, but I got back mostly sites that are companies selling products and explain what species they use. Sometimes I hate search engines! :BangHead: I would take a picture of it and post, but my camera stopped working about 2 months ago.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Thanks guys. I looked through those sites and am still unsure of what it might be. It is open grained like oak, but is more brownish red and is pretty lightweight. It is very aromatic and I almost thought it might be a cedar, but the color is not right for any cedar I have seen. It is too dark. When I made an end grain cutting board with it and sanded it to 180 grit, it is almost brown. I wish my camera was working so I could take a picture. I guess I will go over to East Wake Hardwoods on Monday and see if Roger knows what it might be.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Tom--------The open grain like oak, lightweight, and brownish red, hint to me that it may be chestnut. Does it have holes in it?------like worm holes?:eusa_thin

Jerry

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
I don't think it had any worm holes in it. And looking at the link from Dave above, I think my piece is more red. But it may be chestnut. Is chestnut aromatic when you cut it? The pice I had was about 4 ft long and maybe 4 5/8 wide, so it was not a large piece of wood. Maybe it was just too small of a piece to have the worm holes in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS