Reported Post by Ken Massingale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think Ken is a bit overboard on assigning this to the "inappropriate" category

I'll un-approve for now so we can discuss

Sorry Dave...

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I pulled the post from the thread and sent DaveO a PM. Here's the contents:

Dave,

It causes me great pain to pull this post, even temporarily. I did so because someone reported it as inappropriate for family viewing. You'll see the discussion since you are an admin. Please do add your comments / feelings to the mod thread.

I do NOT agree that the post is inappropriate but felt that we should discuss since it was reported by a member.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Whatever :roll::roll::roll: It was an attempt at humor. And Ken is always so appropriate. Ray, I don't care, I've got thick skin.

Dave:)

b4man

New User
Barbara
Even tho I thinks it's funny as >>>>, if somebody is offended by anything written on this forum I think it should be removed. Offending a person is non-negotiable regardless of how funny everybody else thinks it is.

:)rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:)

me

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I don't see what could be offensive in this comical post. But I am only one set of eyes. If it was reinstated I would support the action.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Even tho I thinks it's funny as >>>>, if somebody is offended by anything written on this forum I think it should be removed. Offending a person is non-negotiable regardless of how funny everybody else thinks it is.

:)rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:)

me

I have to disagree to a point. I find a lot of the comments on here offensive to my beliefs but I allow it to pass because I understand there must be a certain tolerance of others' opinions & beliefs here. An explanation of my reasons is available to anyone by PM but I won't post it here unless specifically asked by Board Members or SMs.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ray, I am not sure I would have handled it in the same manner but you have to act with your gut feeling. Not acting in the same manner does not make either of us right or wrong. Thanks for taking action..

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Ray, I am not sure I would have handled it in the same manner but you have to act with your gut feeling. Not acting in the same manner does not make either of us right or wrong. Thanks for taking action..

Help me out here. I really don't like the way that went, and I'm the guy who did it. What is an alternative? I was afraid that if I wrote to Ken and disagreed with him, it would turn into a tobacco spitting contest. Maybe I just took the easy way out... and that's not right either. Your thoughts?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Help me out here. I really don't like the way that went, and I'm the guy who did it. What is an alternative? I was afraid that if I wrote to Ken and disagreed with him, it would turn into a tobacco spitting contest. Maybe I just took the easy way out... and that's not right either. Your thoughts?

My 2 cents is Ken overreacted. If I remember right Ken got slapped on the knuckles for a comment he made a few weeks ago. Dave made a WA remark but knowing Dave I believe he meant no harm. But with that said not every one knows Dave and would see it this way. I WOULD NOT UNDO WHAT HAS BEEN DONE. Sometime we have to moderate on an island and you have to let your gut tell you what is right. Doing nothing at all is the ONLY easy way out. One possible different way to handle would be PM Ken so Ken can express his feeling. If he has a real issue I then send it to Dave (no names) and ask Dave to delete his own post.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Ken, we all know DaveO is obsessed with nudity (see his comment about thick skin...he can't even help himself in a moderation thread!). :gar-La;

In all seriousness, I think you did the right thing. Someone took offense at a comment made in a post, and you deleted it. The post was amusing, but no substantial knowledge was lost by removing it. If you had replied to Ken that you didn't think the post was offensive and you're letting it stand, then that would have been the right thing to do as well. It's a judgment call. Don't second guess yourself. DaveO will have plenty of of opportunities in the future to make up for this deleted post (I'm sure he'll be sanding down something to "bare wood" before too long)

When in doubt, knowing DaveO is a class-A guy who will just shrug and move on, choosing the path of least resistance is the right way to go. That's not taking the easy way out, that's common sense. I'm all for having principles, but don't fight for them unless there is actually something to gain.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
... One possible different way to handle would be PM Ken so Ken can express his feeling. If he has a real issue I then send it to Dave (no names) and ask Dave to delete his own post.

Scott,

Thanks. That's an excellent alternative. And when flying without a net, it's good to have some alternatives.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow I didn't think that this warranted that much discussion. If someone found my post "inappropriate" delete it, I will have many others.
I think my post count might be in jeopardy based on the activity in the Mod/Admin forum...y'all can talk something to death :roll:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Wow I didn't think that this warranted that much discussion. If someone found my post "inappropriate" delete it, I will have many others.
I think my post count might be in jeopardy based on the activity in the Mod/Admin forum...y'all can talk something to death :roll:

And we like talking about you behind your back right in front of your face... :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS