Report On Meeting With State Veterans Cemeteries Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Today we met with Teresa West, of the State Veterans Cemeteries Office. There were 12 of us in attendance, with 2 board members also present, Berta and Phil. Teresa informed us her office was very interested and willing to participate in the Burial Urns For Veterans Project. She stated their main concern had been the transferring of the cremains to the burial urns. We demonstrated how we solved the problem by making the urns large enough to hold the cardboard boxes, and also the plastic boxes used by the mortuaries to hold the cremains. She also told us the State is opening a new veterans cemetery in Goldsboro in July. She also told us that Black Mountain Cemetery has the largest cremation burial rate of all the cemeteries. Western NCWW people, please take note of this. I have 8 burial urns in the shop that I plan to take to Black Mountain this next week. We need to build some urns for backup, as they can only keep a few in their offices. When they get low, they'll call for more. We gave Teresa 21 urns, and all the military insignias, which I just now realized, I have none on hand for Black Mountain. She will distribute those urns to the other 3 cemeteries. There again, we need to get busy making a backup inventory. Phil told me we will probably need to start paying for the laser engraving, which is OK, and I'm very thankful to Brad for all the emblems he has produced at no cost. The BOD allocated $300 in funding for the purchase of other supplies used in this project. So, if anyone has paid for wood, screws, finishes, etc. and you have the receipt, let me know asap, and I'll take care of it. Hank is working with Kreg to get some donated Kreg screws, and Jack is working with someone to get material for 100 more urns. Now that this project is gaining momentum, we need a few more people to help build urns. Thank you to all of you who took time to travel to Greensboro for this meeting. NCWW took a major step ahead in our outreach programs today. We have set the standard for program that can be applied all over the country. I'm proud to be a North Carolina Woodworker!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can the plans for the Burial Urn be posted to the Download Library? If we want our members to help make these, the plans need to be available.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Sorry Raymond, I thought they had been. Hey Skymaster! Can you get the plans down loaded to the library? Thanks.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thinking outside the box here but the Klingspor Extravaganza is coming up in a few months. A lot of woodworkers attend. We should have an exhibit and info available about this program. Even have parts there for assembly. We might even except donations of materials and $$$ for the cause. It may also generate an influx of new members and rejuvenate old members.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Scott,

I think that is a wonderful idea, especially the assembly part. This would give attendees a chance to contribute in a way that would make them feel that they are contributing to a worthy cause. It would also be another draw to our booth at the Extravaganza. Coleman may have to give us space for two booths.

Steve

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
great idea Scott. Thanks to all who went with Bruce to the meeting.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I will find the plans, they are on this forum, Dave sent a pdf file and I have to go thru all the urn posts to find them,

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Bruce thank you and all who have worked on this project. So far sadly, my participation has been in a moral support role, but as soon as I get a few things caught up I will step up.
As far as the amount of interments at Black Mountain, I know they do quite a few every week, and have more than one on many days. Doesn't mean every one will want or need one of our urns but the volume indicates high potential.
Black Mountain is a short drive for me, and I have cause to be out there weekly at least. If I can help in other ways, Bruce, let me know.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thinking outside the box here but the Klingspor Extravaganza is coming up in a few months. A lot of woodworkers attend. We should have an exhibit and info available about this program. Even have parts there for assembly. We might even except donations of materials :widea: nd $$$ for the cause. It may also generate an influx of new members and rejuvenate old members.

Great idea Scott. Perhaps we could have a banner made to hang on the front of a table, and maybe engineer a pamphlet describing the program.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
As Beth and I were driving to the meeting in Greensboro yesterday, I received a call from Susan Phillips, legislative aide to Rep. Jay Owens, in Raleigh. She was checking to see if the state cemetery folks had contacted us yet. I brought her up to date. She told me to be sure and inform the state cemetery people that NCWW and this project, has the full support of the NC Legislature. All I could say was wow, and thank you. Susan is also the wife of our own Patlaw,from Raleigh. It's great to have good friends in high places! Thank you again Susan.:icon_cheers

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Bruce I cannot find a way to copy this pdf file over to here :{:{ It is in my gmail and pm's on this site. f anyone here can help wood appreciate help

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Charles and others when you open the link that Mike posted click on the download button.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Or you can do this...

Downloads.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors