Removing Rust Bubbles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
As part of the Woodmaster restore, I used a rust remover to clean it up. However, on one of the tables was some more serious rust than my "safe" rust cleaner could get.

Any tips/tricks you can offer to how to remove these??

IMG_1868.jpg

M

McRabbet

If they are not heavily pitted, I'd spray paint them with Rustoleum primer and then finish coat with Rustoleum in your color of choice. When it is totally dry, them put a coat of paraffin wax on them.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Not sure what the chemical reaction is but the rust was converted to something (not rust) by the remover. The rust is controlled and should not be a problem. If you really want it to look like you paid $1500 (Lucky Dog:eek:) for it you can go this route:

I had a few places like that on my TS table when I got it. I used a brass and steel wire wheels on a Dremel on each spot and then sanded w/60 through 400 grit wet/dry paper with WD-40 as the lubricant. I used a $9 HF finish sander and ruined the pad for anything other than this. (You're welcome to borrow BTW) After, I used Mother's Mag polish to even out the sheen.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Try some Mother's mag wheel cleaner. You can get it at autozone or Advanced Auto. It does a pretty good job. There are 2 types, you will want the one safe for steel and aluminum. You have to put some elbow grease to it, but it does clean very well.

I got this tip from mshel way back and have found it works very very well.

striker

New User
Stephen
The marine industry commonly uses Ospho (see Ospho.com) to pretreat rusted materials. Don’t know if you’re going to find it in the Charlotte area but their website lists a bunch of chain stores to try.

Stephen

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
I'm not sure if ospho will remove it, just neutralize it - it kind of already looks neutralized. And I've found it at auto paint suppliers like the larger NAPA stores.

You could always try spot sandblasting or the scotchbrite/wd-40 method.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
If they are raised areas rather than depressions, you can use 220 wet&dry sandpaper with mineral spirits as a lubricant. Follow with 320 then 400 for a smooth finish.

However, you will never remove the discoloring. When an item rusts, it loses material. Rust cleaners do really remove the rust as much as they convert the rust into a hard, stabilized material.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If they are raised areas rather than depressions, you can use 220 wet&dry sandpaper with mineral spirits as a lubricant. Follow with 320 then 400 for a smooth finish.

However, you will never remove the discoloring. When an item rusts, it loses material. Rust cleaners do really remove the rust as much as they convert the rust into a hard, stabilized material.

That's probably going to have to be the trick ... the bubbles are raised and the rust removed did indeed apparently make the metal "solid" again.

A sanding I must go ...

sapwood

New User
Roger
That ought to do it Jeremy!
The same spots appear after electrolysis. Sanding may remove the discoloration, but whatever . . . it's no longer rust :icon_thum

Roger

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The black stuff is Ferrous Oxide. It is stable and inactive. The red rust was Ferric oxide, which is the active form of iron oxidation. The remover passivated some of the original rust and turned it into its stable cousin. The ferrous oxide is hard, but also brittle. If it is thick enough that it would crack if the metal flexes, or high enough that it would cause problems with the wood moving over it, you want to remove it so it will not allow more oxygen and moisture into the cracks to start more rust. If the metal is solid, it should do well with a good coat sealer or wax.
If you do sand it or grind down high spots, etc, you may want to hit it again with the rust remover, because you may be exposing active Ferric oxide encapsulated in the black ferrous oxide. The only way to remove the etching and pits is to polish them out.
To remove it, a rubberized abrasive wheel is best, with a smooth stone (think dremel grinder if the areas are small) second. Use a light touch. It can be removed with a disk sander, but it is difficult, because the Ferric oxide is harder than the bare cast iron next to it. Wet/Dry paper will work, but try to get the pressure directly on the heavier spots to start with, and finish it up with a sanding block backer to avoid shining up the surrounding metal and leaving a hump of the black stuff.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors